Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A Laugh For You - My First Quilt Stencil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laugh-you-my-first-quilt-stencil-t185175.html)

Snowshoe 04-05-2012 05:02 PM

A Laugh For You - My First Quilt Stencil

LOL, I am getting into quilting and bought my first stencil template. It has swirling flower shapes and I knew it was a hard one to start with but I loved it. I've never free motion quilited and didn't even know if I had to for the stencil but I googled and apparently I do. Set my machine up with it's free motion foot, read a lot of my machine's manual and off I went.

The lady at the store had already shown me how the stencil is cleverly designed so that one line leads to another. I was, wonder of wonders, smart enough to know I should practice so I drew good heavy, easy to follow lines and I used stablizer.

Tie off, stitch to end of traced line, tie off, move to next line; tie off, stitch curve around to end of line, tie off; move small amount to next line, stitch next part of same curve, tie off and so on. "Boy", I'm thinking to myself, "It's really not going to be fun cutting out all those little pieces of thread that join each stitched line between the tie offs."

And that's when the light bulb went on, finally. LOL. The stencil only has gaps in the lines to hold it together. If all the gaps were cut out and the lines were continuous the stencil would fall apart. I'm supposed to sew through the gaps to the next line, none of that stopping and starting and tieing off stuff. Needless to say, the last two thirds of my practice piece went a lot faster than the beginning did.

Hope I explained this well enough that you are all having a good chuckle. I know I did. :)

auntpiggylpn 04-05-2012 05:09 PM

We've all had those moments!!!

Crqltr 04-05-2012 05:12 PM

It is kinda funny! But you figured it out and that's what counts!

yngldy 04-05-2012 05:12 PM

Good story! There have been many lightbulb moments for me. Amazing what can be accomplished when that lightbulb goes on!

marilynr 04-05-2012 05:15 PM

You are braver than I am! You tried it, learned how & did it. Good for you!

lfstamper 04-05-2012 05:16 PM

Too funny! At least you have a sense of humor. Practice helps.

JamieQ 04-05-2012 05:44 PM

Hilarious! At least you knew to trace the pattern onto the quilt-- as I was reading I was thinking you were going to tell us you tried to sew through the holes in the stencil and wound up sewing the plastic to your quilt!

mighty 04-05-2012 05:57 PM

Good for you, and you did not get very far before you figured it out!!!!!

#1piecemaker 04-05-2012 06:01 PM

Join the crowd. We all make goofies! Makes us better people.

Grandma Bonnie 04-05-2012 06:12 PM

It's good we can laugh at ourselves when we do things like this!! Glad you figured it out! I'm sure I've done worse things!