Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/layer-cakes-charms-use-them-re-cut-them-t191903.html)

Favorite Fabrics 06-16-2012 06:25 AM

Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them?

There have been several threads lately about the (usually small) inaccuracies in the pre-cut fabric bundles that the fabric companies put out.

Which made me wonder... if you have a layer cake or charm pack, do you *count* on them being precision cut?

Or do you generally re-cut and trim them yourself, anyway?

auntpiggylpn 06-16-2012 06:41 AM

I'm one of those blind faith people. If it says it is supposed to be 5" X 5" or 2 1/2" wide, I believe 'em! Hasn't come back to bite me in the keester yet!

ETA - I forgot to mention that I made a quilt recently using a Robert Kaufman Jelly roll and a I was going to use a Moda Bella Solid Jelly roll. There was a significant difference in the width of the strips so I just I just cut my own strips. I don't think I would mix different manufacturers

caspharm 06-16-2012 06:42 AM

I haven't had a problem and I have used charm packs to make a quilt (around the time they first came out), but I know there have been issues with the Bali rolls being narrower than stated. Someone actually wrote an article on how to compensate for that.

Scissor Queen 06-16-2012 06:50 AM

I just don't worry about precision. I'm not exactly precise to start with so I know how to fudge things and make them look perfect on the right side. If you put the crooked part on the inside nobody can see it.

irishrose 06-16-2012 06:50 AM

I've only used charm packs and they have been perfect. All were Moda or RJR.

0tis 06-16-2012 07:30 AM

I use them straight out of the package - usually only purchase moda pre cuts and love them.

burchquilts 06-16-2012 07:33 AM

I'm just a trusting soul. I kind of "eye ball" them & if they looked too wonky, I might measure them & take appropriate measures. So far mine have all been OK & I've ordered all kinds of precuts. Maybe one of these days I'll get a rude awakening but until then, I guess ignorance or trust is bliss!

QuiltnNan 06-16-2012 07:48 AM

if they are not precisely the measurements advertised, then there should be a disclaimer that they are 'approximate'
if the point of precuts is to save time, then i don't want to spend more time 'fixing' them
MHO

alwayslearning 06-16-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5293112)
if they are not precisely the measurements advertised, then there should be a disclaimer that they are 'approximate'
if the point of precuts is to save time, then i don't want to spend more time 'fixing' them
MHO

Amen. If you pay money for someone else to cut them,then you should not have redo their work.

jcrow 06-16-2012 08:24 AM

I usually measure them first. Like the charms...5" might mean from valley on one side to peak on the other. I learned that the hard way. I made a quilt that used 5" charms and I did it in sections with a middle section. Well, the sides didn't match up and I found out it was because the 5" charms needed to be measured from valley to peak. So that's how I know and why I measure now. I never did fix that quilt. I used 3 charm packs on it and would have had to rip the whole thing out and I was so upset when I realized what I did, that I just folded it all up and put it away and figured someday I might feel like ripping it apart and starting over. That day hasn't come yet and it's been about 4 years now.