Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   laying out a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laying-out-quilt-t34494.html)

hsquiltingmom 01-18-2010 08:19 PM

I will set up my quilting frames (as long as I don't have a quilt on them), and lay out the quilt that way. If I do have a quilt on the frames, then I will do it on the floor, if I am going to machine quilt. If I am going to hand quilt it, then I put it on a shelf until I am able to get it going. I prefer to use the quilting frames if I can, just because it is a whole lot easier.

MadQuilter 01-18-2010 11:17 PM

I lay mine out on the bed to audition and I take the large ones to work and sandwich in the conference room or lunch room where the big tables are.

If you ever baste on the floor, be careful not to pin to the carpet.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-19-2010 02:58 PM

I put it on the bed.

Marjpf 01-19-2010 03:18 PM

I nailed a king sized flannel sheet to one wall of the sewing room. Instant design wall.

Honey 01-19-2010 03:24 PM

You might check out your local library. Some have meeting rooms with long tables you can put together at least to get it pinned.

amma 01-19-2010 03:37 PM

I am going to designate one whole wall of my sewing room as a design board :wink: I won't be making many queen/king sized quilts, but it will hold either.
To pin, I use my library's meeting room. I haven't spray basted anything that large yet, I am not sure who's garage I will be borrowing for that :D:D:D

Nita 01-20-2010 04:52 AM

It sounds like you are at the point of basting the three layers? Harriet Hargrave has a unique way of doing this on any sized table, where you divide your quilt into 4 sections, working on 1/4 of your quilt at a time. It's a rather detailed process to explain in full, but her method is a real back and knee saver. Here's the book: "Heirloom Machine Quilting" by Harriet Hargrave, 4th edition. You may even find it in your local library. The book is $29.95, though I recently purchased it for much less on Amazon.com. It is a WONDERFUL resource book for beginner machine quilter like myeslf. Hope this helps some of y'all who are rearranging your house to lay out a quilt, not to mention the stress & strain on your backs!

Jingle 01-20-2010 05:49 AM

I almost always make larger quilts - some are twin size - most are double or larger. I have a glass top dining room table. I clamp the center top of backing,batting and quilt top, I pin all this and then move to one side, then other side,then top and then bottom and move however until all is pinned. I have never used the floor. To creaky to get down on knees. Am going to buy bed raisers to put under table legs to raise it. Easier on the back that way. Good luck !!!

maryb119 01-20-2010 05:51 AM

I lay my blocks out on the floor and sometimes I need to move furniture.

cande 01-20-2010 06:16 AM

By moving the coffee table -which is actually a large rattan type box with lid - I can lay it out in the living room but have to be careful that I don't pin it to the carpet. I can scoot the dining room chairs out of the way and use the kitchen floor too. How lovely it would be to have the perfect set-up of a room large enough to have all sewing stuff in one room with a huge table!