Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learning from this board.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-board-t94005.html)

mythreesuns 01-26-2011 05:53 AM

I love this quilting board also. I have learned 99% of what I know about quilting from this board and I only know 5% of what there is to know. I look on amazed at how you all pick colors, designs and such. Jealous is what it really is.. ha ha ha I was trying to go by remembering what my grandma use to do as a child when she made her quilts. My first quilt I am making, I learned that I needed to press everything, (after it was to late) and to make sure my pieces are cut at 100% accurate. Is my quilt perfect...that a 100% no...but...just because it is not..I am not stopping now, BUT I do know..(I am shy and feel dumb asking questions) not one person on this board ever made a comment to me to make me feel that way. I am just so completely new to all this, the only thing I knew about quilting was..you need a machine, thread, material, and a design. Trace the pieces out and sew together. That's how it was in my mind.. like I said...I am learning.. So my next quilt...I will be pressing pressing and more pressing as one board member told me..make the press my best friend.. I also learned to really watch my rotary cutting. I am not a quitter...so I will keep pressing on.

CompulsiveQuilter 01-26-2011 06:06 AM

I know what you mean about learning, learning, learning here. And the inspiration of the pictures! But what I've learned - from others and within myself - is that quilters LOVE to share their passion for the craft. That's why I've not been afraid to ask or answer questions. We want and NEEEEEEEEEED to help.

merry 01-26-2011 06:18 AM

Totally agree. And the wonderful experienced quilters who offer advice & encouragement - really special people. Have gained so much from them, especially qazyquilter.

Enchanted Quilter 01-26-2011 06:34 AM

Even the the oldest Quilter on this board learns something new everyday. I have found on this board there are no DUMB questions. Just a whole board of wonderful Men & Ladies who like to share their Passion for sewing & quilting.

G'ma Kay 01-26-2011 06:42 AM

The time spent on this board occasionally makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing something else. However, the gems of information are priceless, and have improved my skills so much that I feel it is time well spent.

feffertim 01-26-2011 07:15 AM

I agree, I often think I have to get off this board and do something productive, but then I realize this is the most productive thing I can do

mythreesuns 01-26-2011 07:19 AM

I love living in my small little community, except at times like this. The closest class to take for quilting is a 45 mile drive one way for me. Plus the opposite direction I work, so it would actually be 60 miles. I pass a little quilt shop on my way to work daily, and decided to stop in one day to check it out. She just basically does the quilting for people. She offers no classes or anything.

Jaos 01-26-2011 08:26 AM

I agree. Every time I read here I learn something. I can search and get answers to my question-of-the-moment. It's better than a class. I registered before I started quilting and then for some unknown reason I didn't read until a month or so ago. I know I missed out on lots of help and learned things through trial and error. Even thought I tell myself this is a part of quilting, I have to watch out that I don't spend too much time here and neglect hands on quilting.