Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Left over batting uses?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/left-over-batting-uses-t1614.html)

Yvonne 07-30-2007 11:57 AM

Good Afternoon,
My daughters and grandkids have all gone home and I'm busy rebuilding my sewing room. It wasn't enough to just put things back I decided to clear out the closets as well! Why? Who knows!!!
In this process of clearing out and shuffling things around I have discovered a ton of batting strips. Some are 6 inches wide some 9 inches. Nothing really of a good size for quilting but being a daughter of parents who lived through the depression I have saved them all! I am able to toss those 2-3 inch wide strips but these others ... I'm not willing to spend the time sewing them together to make them quilt size, I've got enough hot pads to last two life times. Any other ideas or do I just grin and bear it and toss them too?
Does anyone else have this problem of getting rid of the junk? Can batting, of any size, be considered junk? Shall I close my eyes and let it all go so I can have a fresh start?
HELP!
Signed,
Drowning in batting left-overs!
AKA, Yvonne

tia sarah 07-30-2007 12:03 PM

yvonne, have you thought about making quilted book marks or fabric post cards.

Country Quilter 07-30-2007 12:09 PM

I use my leftovers for tablerunners, wallhangings (sometimes I need to stitch a few pieces together), potholders (I give them away as gifts if I don't need them), coasters and the really small pieces get put in a bag and when I have enuf I make pillows and use it for stuffing. I don't toss even the smallest pieces!

patricej 07-30-2007 12:18 PM

ornaments for the tree; stuffed :paper dolls"; pin cushions

kathy 07-30-2007 12:31 PM

book covers

Carla P 07-30-2007 12:32 PM

Trapunto... those strips are perfect for it!! (Not so much to have to cut away, but wide & long enough for some nice sized designs.) Also, the stuffing in Biscuit Blocks is another use.

My Grandmother was a Depression Era child, so I learned from her to "keep a few things from time to time". :roll: :oops: :lol: You could always roll it up & make a neck roll pillow from it.

Or, you can just start mailing it to all of your closest quilting buddies... I'll PM you my addy!! :lol:

Judy Gail 07-30-2007 12:51 PM

I just made 150 coasters out of my leftover batting. I used 2 layers of batting for each coaster; used every scrap I had.

Judy

My 2 girls are going to give them to their officemates for Christmas.

ShellyQ 07-30-2007 12:52 PM

I use my leftover batting pieces for stuffing cushion inserts. So if I make a cushion I can make an insert exactly the size I want, also works out cheaper than buying an insert. Also great for stuffed toys etc

Yvonne 07-30-2007 01:07 PM

Okay, Now I'm feeling guilty for tossing those 2 inch strips! :-) I've sorted through what I have and am keeping the "good stuff" and tossing some of the less desirable! (old iron on stuff that gets hard and stiff!) In my spare time (what spare time, she asks?) I'll be making lots of little things.

Thank you for so many wonderful suggestions. I'd forgotten I wanted to make a 'biscuit' quilt. Trapunto is not something I have planned to do but who knows what I'll be doing 15 years down the road?!?!? I'll consider making my adage quilts a tad smaller... I do own a book on making coasters! Oh, boy! You've got my brain going now.

Thank you again.

lin 07-30-2007 01:27 PM

Being new to the site, I don't know whether or not you do any machine quilting, but I use leftover small pieces to make little "sandwiches" so I can check my tension before I start on a project. If the little sandwich is big enough, I sometimes practice a new design or technique as well. I never feel like I've had to waste any batting that way.

I've also used small pieces to make coasters like some others here. :)