Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lesson Learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lesson-learned-t87544.html)

QuilterGary 01-04-2011 06:19 AM

I do not understand why but I have learned a lesson. I bought a cone of thread (polester) and had trouble with the tension. Got another machine same thing happened. Changed to 100% cotton thread and everything started to work right. This is the short story, I have read alot of info here about thread and I have tried alot of things but bottom line is my machine does not like poly. It is a new Smarter by Pfaff it is smarter than I. Maybe I should say it does not like cheap thread. I still don't understand a machine is a machine and should not know anything.

cjomomma 01-04-2011 06:27 AM

LOL!! These machines are very smart. Mine tells me all the time when it doesn't like what I am doing.

kathy 01-04-2011 06:28 AM

sometimes the girls are tempermental but..... maybe if you played around with the tension you could get them to play nice.
also, sewers aid sometimes works wonders on thread that otherwise won't behave.

ckcowl 01-04-2011 07:30 AM

my viking is one of the pickiest machines i've ever dealt with...it is soooooo picky about threads and it took me forever to learn when all is going wrong, and i've cleaned the machine...i've changed the needle ive adjusted tension all over the place...finally change the dog-gone thread and all the problems go away.
i have bought $18 cones of thread from quilt booths at shows to get it home and find no matter what i try it will not work in my machine....ive bought cheap thread...that will not work i've bought lots of cotton thread...it is the one i have the most trouble with...even with the quilting machine cotton thread sucks...i have a whole box of threads that are pretty much worthless for machine work in my house...so i use them for hand projects...and when any of the girls need thread i send them some of mine...their machines have their own quirks different from mine... once you find the thread that works best in your machine hopefully it will be available in lots of colors. it took me years but i finally purchased thread from connecting threads and so far LOVE THEM :thumbup: the past 3 months (since that first order) have been a joy to sew! the big machine is so grateful it even sounds better with the new thread...my viking has been 'behaving' nicely...and i have been placing orders every month to get more and more colors :thumbup:

featherweight 01-04-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I do not understand why but I have learned a lesson. I bought a cone of thread (polester) and had trouble with the tension. Got another machine same thing happened. Changed to 100% cotton thread and everything started to work right. This is the short story, I have read alot of info here about thread and I have tried alot of things but bottom line is my machine does not like poly. It is a new Smarter by Pfaff it is smarter than I. Maybe I should say it does not like cheap thread. I still don't understand a machine is a machine and should not know anything.

It is a SMARTER by Pfaff. That alone should tell you how smart it is!!! LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 01-04-2011 08:00 AM

Gary, I suggest you buy a MAN machine! We girls are too finicky :D:D:D
No, I have no idea where they sell them lol

QBeth 01-04-2011 09:16 AM

Good old Coats & Clark works best in my workhorse Babylock! But, I've only used Mettler cotton in my Viking -- too afraid to try C&C based on advice from the shop where I bought it. Maybe I'll "liberate" myself and try C&C in the Viking!! After all, it is a new year!

featherweight 01-04-2011 11:37 AM

I bought some Emb. designs for tea towels. It suggested that I use cotton thread to make it look more like hand embroidery. I used C&C cotton in my Viking SE and it does great in it. I just make sure to clean bobbin area frequently. In fact I used some Dual Duty C&C for more colors.

QBeth 01-04-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I bought some Emb. designs for tea towels. It suggested that I use cotton thread to make it look more like hand embroidery. I used C&C cotton in my Viking SE and it does great in it. I just make sure to clean bobbin area frequently. In fact I used some Dual Duty C&C for more colors.

Thanks, good to know!

featherweight 01-04-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Originally Posted by featherweight

Thanks, good to know!

From one Beth to another Beth!!!