Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let my mistake be your lesson (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/let-my-mistake-your-lesson-t183240.html)

SWEETPEACHES 03-18-2012 11:35 AM

Let my mistake be your lesson

I've been making bags bags bags. I had the bright idea to make one with a really wide bottom. Guess what, the lining didn't fit. It was too short. So I had to add a piece of fabric to the top of the lining to make it long enough. It came out fine but what a pain.
Don't do as I do.

Raggiemom 03-18-2012 02:07 PM

Thanks! :)

pattypurple 03-18-2012 03:42 PM

I frequently add a strip of fabric, matching the outside, at the top of my linings. That way the lining doesn't peek out and become so visible.

Drue 03-18-2012 04:47 PM

From experience...when you add inches (dimension) to a purse pattern, don't forget to add it to the lining. Whether it be length or width. If you are adding to the bottom, be sure to "ADJUST" your pocket lining so they don't end up in the bottom of the purse. You know that algebra that you took in high school that you said, "I'LL NEVER USE THIS IN REAL LIFE" ...guess what...if you sew, you'll eventually use it! I just doensized a pattern for a customer who wanted 3 throw sized quilts made from a queen sized quilt pattern I have....I had to down size it to 59%...appliques, blocks and all That meant I had to reduce block measurements by 41%...see! Math is not a bad thing! If you sew, you know!

SWEETPEACHES 03-18-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Drue (Post 5071532)
From experience...when you add inches (dimension) to a purse pattern, don't forget to add it to the lining. Whether it be length or width. If you are adding to the bottom, be sure to "ADJUST" your pocket lining so they don't end up in the bottom of the purse. You know that algebra that you took in high school that you said, "I'LL NEVER USE THIS IN REAL LIFE" ...guess what...if you sew, you'll eventually use it! I just doensized a pattern for a customer who wanted 3 throw sized quilts made from a queen sized quilt pattern I have....I had to down size it to 59%...appliques, blocks and all That meant I had to reduce block measurements by 41%...see! Math is not a bad thing! If you sew, you know!

Thanks Drue. I'm going to be calling on you in the future with my math questions. :)

veryvirginia 03-19-2012 04:27 AM

Me too! Math is not my strong suit and what Drue wrote confused me. I am hopeless when downsizing anything. Ugh!

jeanneb52 03-19-2012 04:28 AM

I ,too, always put a facing of the outside fabrice jon the top of the lingins. My math and cutting can be bad an this gives me a little play space. Plus no lining peeking up on the top.

Pink Dogwood 03-19-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5071358)
I frequently add a strip of fabric, matching the outside, at the top of my linings. That way the lining doesn't peek out and become so visible.

Thanks for sharing your idea. I too make many bags, but never thought of adding a strip to the top of lining. Will be doing it next bag. Love this blog and all the ideas so freely shared with the rest of us.

solstice3 03-19-2012 05:52 AM

I have yet to start making bags. I bought one with pockets and dividers ( a commercial product) and love it....when I get caught up (ha ha) I am going to try and make another that is similar.

Grace MooreLinker 03-19-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES (Post 5070803)
I've been making bags bags bags. I had the bright idea to make one with a really wide bottom. Guess what, the lining didn't fit. It was too short. So I had to add a piece of fabric to the top of the lining to make it long enough. It came out fine but what a pain.
Don't do as I do.

I have seen some bags made wwith a different piece of fabric add to the top half makes them look scrappy.