Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's see those 70's color themed quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-see-those-70s-color-themed-quilt-t168594.html)

Denise S 11-17-2011 05:41 AM

earth tones

DebraK 11-17-2011 06:23 AM

very '70s. good job ;-)

Bueniebabe 11-17-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4688522)
um - polyester was a big deal when it came out - should be easy to find - nah.... seersucker and dotted Swiss and brocade for texture - lots of texture - we had all sorts of prints back in the day...
Olive green, burnt orange, harvest gold, coppertone brown and turquoise for colors - add in black or white
My MIL had a bright orange carpet and a green couch in her living room. ew... curtains - some kind of geometric on a white back ground. She also had a blue chair she loved so she covered it with a throw of some kind. She never has had good taste...

In the 70's I had bright orange shag carpet. One wall was bright orange and the other 3 walls bright green. The drapes were big flowers oranges, yellow and greens. Also had black leather furniture. Was that gaudy or what? My double front doors were also orange. Reminds me of the Brady Bunch show.

SUZAG 11-17-2011 10:30 AM

Yes, earth tones were very popular, the olives, rust, gold but what I remember most was the orange. Peter Max was popular and had a lot of psychedelic posters that the "hippies" freaked out to while smoking a joint...LOL Peace signs, anything with parts exaggerated, etc. I was a teen in the 70's and had a '73 yellow Pinto (look it up) with an 8-track player (look it up)...LOL Corduroys, denim, and polyester were pretty popular. I seem to remember a dotted swiss dress that I made that was, well, very, very short...LOL Oh, the good old days! Go bright and anything goes! Tie dye was really popular too!

butterjoy 11-17-2011 11:55 AM

I hope there will be pictures of the 70's quilts posted. It sounds fascinating :)

amma 11-17-2011 02:03 PM

Ahhh the 70's LOL rust, olive, burnt orange, harvest golds, dark browns... but what I remember and love the most? Were the bright neon colors! Hot Pink, Tangerine Orange, Lime Green, Electric Blue.... What colors does HE have in mind? :) :) :)

butterjoy 11-17-2011 02:10 PM

Remember the coppertone, olive green, yellow cookstoves and refrigerators :) I had my kitchen in tangerine orange once. My kids hated it lol :)

DogHouseMom 11-17-2011 02:15 PM

I was born in 1960 - so the 70's are wonderful memories for me. Yes to the avocado and orange for home decor, but for everything else ... brights! Pinks, yellow's, greens, oranges. Think giant daisy's. Flower Power man. Woodstock. Hair. Wild plaid skinny leg pants - paired with flowered shirts and tie died scarfs. White patent leather go-go boots. And apparently it's when girls legs were invented cause before the mini-skirt we weren't quite sure how far up they went.

Use Google Image Search using the following: Peter Max, VW Bus (most of them were wildly painted), Flower Power, and Woodstock.

Some designers that you will probably have good luck finding the right stuff for .... Amy Butler, Anne Kelle (check out her "remix" line - the argyles, the flowers, the butterfly's), Heidi Dobrutt - just to name a few. Above all else - don't be afraid to mix it up - plaids with flowers were far out man, matching prints were a drag! (ahem ... "far out" = good, "drag" = bad :) )

ChaiQuilter 11-17-2011 02:42 PM

Back it with an orange, rust, brown, & yellow shag rug lol.

cathyvv 11-17-2011 03:28 PM

Harvest gold and olive green...oh, how well I remember that!