Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light Box Suggestions?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-box-suggestions-t204141.html)

Jannie 10-27-2012 05:59 PM

Nanamoms, I am of no help. When I told my husband I needed a light box when I was into Caligraphy, he asked what I was thinking so I explained it to him. Within a couple of days, I had a great light box. I now use it for my quilting. I am very lucky beause my dh is very creative and I haven't found any thing that he can't make. Good luck in finding a good box.

nellie 10-27-2012 06:16 PM

i have two big one that i brought on line at amazon and ebay they where on sale at time ,and i have two small ones that i brought at a craft store joana,s or micheal,s for $9.00 each the small ones, but shop online and see if any comes up with a good sale price

SewExtremeSeams 10-28-2012 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5615799)
I don't know if it's just my area, but I've been seeing LOTS of working light tables at thrift stores!! I have a glass-top art desk with a lamp underneath that I usually use, but I found a really nice 12x18 light box for $3 at a thrift store outlet and couldn't pass it up. Usually I see them priced around $10-15, depending on the size.

An aha moment. I have a old, old sewing table with a set of 3 drawer on each side of the table. There is glass on top of the two top drawers. I could put a batter operated light in the drawer and use the glass table top. The table/desk was my Grandma Chula's sewing table. Thank you Sewnoma for sparking my thinking!

applique 10-29-2012 06:21 AM

I use a "trouble" light from the garage with a clamp or hanger on it and hang or clamp to a rung of my drying rack. With a piece of plexiglass on top I can set it up easily and quickly and it has a nice large surface.

denveremerson 11-01-2012 12:20 PM

You might want to call around to hospitals and clinics and see if they have a view box for x-rays that they want to get rid of. Most medical sites are going to digital x-rays that are read on a computer. I snagged a double one when we switched over to digital here in the clinic and didn't know where to go with the old light boxes. Just a thought. Good luck!

QuiltingHaven 11-01-2012 05:50 PM

I have a plexiglass computer holder that had the keyboard under it with the computer on top. Got a laptop, didn't need it. Re-purposed it. Just put a light under it and walah!!! A light box!!!

Dandish 11-01-2012 07:13 PM

I got so lucky! I was at a garage sale and found an x-ray viewing light, the kind on the wall in the doctor's office, for $10. It's big and works great. i also got a smaller one, looks like it might be homemade, at another garage sale a long time before I came across the big one. before that, I was using sunlight through the window - lol.

Nanamoms 11-01-2012 10:01 PM

So many great ideas!! Love the x-ray box suggestion...will check it out with my son (doctor). I want to get one as big as I can since I do pageant sashes and have to mark a lot of wording centered down a long strip!! I do have an old printer with a scanner top that I might could convert. I just purchased some great Ott LED lights from Tues. Morning that would work great. Regular light bulbs cause glare with my eyes and I have to squint!! (although time for an eye checkup, too!))

I'm going to keep an eye out for the right size of box/plexiglass!