Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lighting a sewing table area (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lighting-sewing-table-area-t215876.html)

EllieGirl 03-09-2013 11:14 AM

I bought two of those reading lamps you clip to our bed. They work great and didn't cost much. I just clip them to the table.

jokir44 03-09-2013 11:42 AM

Look into Stella lights ladies. They are pricey but oh so wonderful. I haven't taken the plunge to buy one yet but thinking seriously. They are LED and according to a vendor was told if you run the light 24/7 for six years, then you might have to consider replacing it. There is a site online to check it out.

yweinst 03-09-2013 12:09 PM

I have a floor lamp that has branches and I use the day light light bulbs in them. Then I have an over head light that has swivel lights on it and put day light light bulbs in that as well. It has made a huge difference.

Sewnoma 03-09-2013 12:12 PM

I have a floor reading lamp that shines on the sewing bed from behind my machine, and then I also have an Ott that shines onto the bed from the front. It's not fantastic (the arm of the Ott is in the way of some of my buttons) but I can see!

Emma S 03-09-2013 01:29 PM

I have a ceiling fixture that has three canister lights that can be directed at different parts of the room. They are inexpensive and I installed it myself. Then I have a pole lamp, that again, can be directed to any part of the room. There is an Ott light to but I can't seem to get it in a position that it doesn't glare directly in my eyes. Seems like any light on my sewing table doesn't work for me. There are a lot of inexpensive options. As everyone said you can't have to much light.

Luv Quilts and Cats 03-09-2013 02:10 PM

I like the Ott light floor model. Mine bends at the neck.

Nilla 03-09-2013 02:53 PM

In addition to the regular overhead light, I have an Ott table lamp situated next to my machine so it shines down over it. Because I needed specific, up close light at the needle, I got a little bendy light from Ikea (10ish$). I can bend it to fit directly under the harp and right into the needle area. It is really bright. I love that cheap little thing!

RedGarnet222 03-09-2013 04:07 PM

I too had a real problem with my lighting. So hubby added some overhead wall mount cabinets so he could put the floressent light bars above where I sew. Boy! Did that ever make a difference. And as the added bonus, more enclosed shelving to store quilting fabric. Love that part... LOL.

mimmy96 03-09-2013 04:10 PM

OTT lamps are great but very pricey.. even at half off.. I have overhead lights and lamps and just reg bendable desk lamps as well.. and I went to lowes (home depot also have them) and bought a big pack of "bright Lights" they are made for sewing areas also... Have used them for about 4 years now and they fit just like regular light bulbs! Good luck!

Sandygirl 03-09-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 (Post 5916647)
Look into Stella lights ladies. They are pricey but oh so wonderful. I haven't taken the plunge to buy one yet but thinking seriously. They are LED and according to a vendor was told if you run the light 24/7 for six years, then you might have to consider replacing it. There is a site online to check it out.

Got one!! LOVE it! Better than my OTT!
Sandy