Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lightweight Batting Alternative? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lightweight-batting-alternative-t204685.html)

Dreamflowerlillin 10-30-2012 05:08 PM

Lightweight Batting Alternative?

Hello All!

I'm very new to quilting here, so I am sorry if I don't know the correct term for what I am looking for.
What would you all suggest for me to use for an extremely lightweight quilt? I am contemplating what sort of batting or backing I would use for someone who overheats in the winter using only a bed sheet or light weight blanket at night. Ha. Tall order, I know.

I have read that I could always use a very thin fleece throw as batting. Is this advisable?

Quiltngolfer 10-30-2012 05:12 PM

I like Quilters Dream Request batting for very thin quilts. I think it is the thinnest batting you can buy.

Peckish 10-30-2012 05:17 PM

You could either use no batting at all, just quilt a backing onto your top. Or you could use a flannel sheet or some flannel fabric.

QuiltE 10-30-2012 05:37 PM

Fleece and polytester batts would be very warm, as they do not breathe.

A cotton batt would breathe, so would not provide the same heat factor.

I've used flannelette as a batt ... breathes and provides some warmth, but not a lot.

Silver Needle 10-30-2012 06:17 PM

Quilter's Dream Request is only recommended for hand quilting. Their Select is a nice weight for a 100% cotton batting. My favorite is Dream Orient, it has bamboo, silk, botanic tensile, and cotton. This is a very snuggly but lightweight batting. www.quiltersdreambatting.com to read more about them.

Scissor Queen 10-30-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dreamflowerlillin (Post 5624428)
Hello All!

I'm very new to quilting here, so I am sorry if I don't know the correct term for what I am looking for.
What would you all suggest for me to use for an extremely lightweight quilt? I am contemplating what sort of batting or backing I would use for someone who overheats in the winter using only a bed sheet or light weight blanket at night. Ha. Tall order, I know.

I have read that I could always use a very thin fleece throw as batting. Is this advisable?

I'd probably go with wool for somebody like that.

Neesie 10-30-2012 08:59 PM

If you want something very lightweight, you don't need to use batting, at all. Just use a top and backing. Many folks do this, for "summer quilts."

justflyingin 10-30-2012 09:29 PM

Well, actually, I'd probably assume the quilt will be more for looks than actual usage if the person overheats with just a sheet. So, I'd just go with a thin batting available at the store closest to you. :) (My husband gets hot and always throws off extra blankets...but likes looking at them on the bed.)

I personally like the feel of an extra layer in the middle as it smooths out the bumps from the seam allowances.

117becca 10-31-2012 01:32 AM

I use Quilters Dream Request (lightweight batting) all the time and don't see why you couldn't use it for machine quilting. I do hand quilt and love it - it is light weight, can't help you w/ the warmth or lack of warmth factor since I've given the quilts away...

Holice 10-31-2012 03:43 AM

I use Quilters Dream Request for most of my machine quilting. In fact I get it by the large roll.
I also like to have some kind of batting or filler inside the quilt. The thinist I know of is Hobbs Thermore.
It is soft and drapabale, gives just a bit of loft for your quilting. It is packaged in various sizes.
I believe anything else (flannel, fleece, etc) will add unwanted weight to the otherwise light weight quilt.