Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lil, Twister (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lil-twister-t168591.html)

Greeter Eva 11-16-2011 08:22 PM

Lil, Twister

I bought a ruler at the Saskatoon Quilt Show & I'm wondering if anyone here has tried one. It calls for 5" squares & a 3" boarder. I was wondering do I have to do the boarder? It makes such cute blocks, but I guess I wasn't listening close enough, or didn't ask enough questions.

TeresaR 11-16-2011 08:33 PM

You really need the border to finish it. If you didn't have it you would have half of a windmill on the outer edges. They are really fun to do and go together really quick.

Lynnie25 11-16-2011 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greeter Eva, I have done the lil twister both with and without the border. I will see if I can attach photos to show you. The bottom left one has had a 3inch border added, the rest haven't - just the 5inch squares joined together and then used the twister tool.

Twister quilts are just so much fun to do

snipforfun 11-16-2011 08:37 PM

The border becomes part of the blocks. Is not a traditional use of a border. After you get all the blocks finished and sewn together, the you can add a real border.

Tartan 11-16-2011 08:43 PM

They look nice either way. There are also other patterns to do with the twister. I've seen the Christmas wreath, Christmas tree, Heart shaped, tablerunners and Halloween patterns. Basically any pattern you can work out on graph paper can become a twister design. Have fun!

Greeter Eva 11-16-2011 08:43 PM

Thankyou for all the info & thankyou Lynnie for the pics. Now it all makes sense to me, what the boarder is for. This is such a nice board to get all the info you need. Thanks again.

QuiltnNan 11-17-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25 (Post 4688164)
Greeter Eva, I have done the lil twister both with and without the border. I will see if I can attach photos to show you. The bottom left one has had a 3inch border added, the rest haven't - just the 5inch squares joined together and then used the twister tool.

Lynnie, thanks so much for posting the pic. It's so easy to visualize the difference when one has something to look at. I think i prefer the border look, but the non-border is not bad at all.

runninL8 11-17-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25 (Post 4688164)

Thanks for posting the pictures - I really like both types - with an extra border and without. The extra border would allow you to bring out a certain color in the piece. Very nice work!!

Drew 11-17-2011 06:45 AM

I would use a border. I think it finishes the quilt.

SUZAG 11-17-2011 10:35 AM

Darn it Lynnie25, I almost had myself talked out of wanting one of those twisters but after seeing your quilts, I want one again...beautiful work!