Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lining up seams in quilt-help needed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lining-up-seams-quilt-help-needed-t56815.html)

ammorgan 07-29-2010 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a quilt that I am making where there is a strip of fabric, then a square, then another strip of fabric, then a square.

Well I need to line up the squares just right, but then when I do there is too much "strip" between the squares. Some of the strips seem to be just a little too long, but then some seem to be quite a bit too long.

How do I find out where I went wrong with my piecing?

It's the little blue squares on the quilt that I'm having issues with. I get those lined up and then the fabric strips to the sides are too long between the squares.

gale 07-29-2010 10:47 AM

Probably your seams aren't all perfect. BTDT (and still do). You can adjust some seams to try to get it to fit. Sashing seams (the strips) are fairly easy to adjust-just sew the seam a tiny bit smaller or take them out and sew a bit bigger, depending on how you need it. I wouldn't even attempt to adjust seams in a pieced block unless it's a simple one like a 4 patch or 9 patch.

pam1966 07-29-2010 10:47 AM

Well, you would need to start at the beginning- did you cut all your fabric pieces the right size? Is your seam allowance the same on all seams? It should be 1/4". You might need to get a seam ripping session going and start again.

gale 07-29-2010 10:48 AM

Just saw the picture. That is a neat pattern! There is a lot of matching up to do though, so it's one where your seams need to be spot-on. By too long, do you mean too wide? If they're too long you can trim them...

ammorgan 07-29-2010 10:49 AM

Pretty sure I cut all my fabric pieces the right size. Seam allowance should be the same, I line my fabric up with the end of my foot

ammorgan 07-29-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Just saw the picture. That is a neat pattern! There is a lot of matching up to do though, so it's one where your seams need to be spot-on. By too long, do you mean too wide? If they're too long you can trim them...

Yeah I guess too wide. I'm just not sure how I'd know how much I need to cut in order to get them to line up just right!

gale 07-29-2010 10:52 AM

With a pattern like that seam allowances "the same" isn't good enough. They have to be a scant 1/4". In other words, the seam has to be just so that the seam allowance and the thread line is 1/4" plus accounting for the fold from pressing. It's too late now but before your next project, you can do a test to determine if your seam allowance is correct. Sew 3 1.5" strips together, press as usual, and make sure the center is exactly 1". If not, keep adjusting your needle position until it's exactly 1".

Also, all feet are not necessarily going to give a 1/4" seam allowance. I have a patchwork foot that is supposed to be a perfect 1/4" but I had to adjust my needle position a bunch to get it just right.

dkabasketlady 07-29-2010 10:53 AM

This is going to be a very Beautiful quilt when you get all the kinks worked out on it!

virtualbernie 07-29-2010 10:55 AM

I think either your log cabin blocks are not all the same size or your sashing strips are not cut accurately. Remeasure everything. Then start frogging if necessary :-) Looks like it's going to be a great, beautiful quilt when you're done! :thumbup:

ammorgan 07-29-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I think either your log cabin blocks are not all the same size or your sashing strips are not cut accurately. Remeasure everything. Then start frogging if necessary :-)

No frogging! Please!!! LOL

If I did screw up on the cutting or something, I don't exactly have enough fabric to recut the stuff.