Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lint clinging to my drk fabric..Any asap advice so appreciated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lint-clinging-my-drk-fabric-any-asap-advice-so-appreciated-t79739.html)

ArtisticDesign 11-30-2010 12:18 PM

I am about to make my son pillow cases to match his soon to be wall hanging+quilt...I'm literally sitting at my machine, everything cut and ready to sew..But I hesitate.
Problem is, my black fabric is picking up every bit of lint/hair etc and I expect this to some degree given its blk.....I know they have no pets and it'll be mostly on the bed... But I hate it... I've never noticed my other drk fabrics do this..
The pillow cases will be so dramatically awesome when finished and I know he'll totally love them...
Anyone know of something that will cut down on this problem, such as spraying with Cling Free?

I washed the fabric. Did not use any fabric softener if that makes any difference....Thanks so much

amma 11-30-2010 01:15 PM

Fabric softener does help... you didn't say whether this fabric was prewashed, but I noticed unwashed black fabric is more magnetic to every bit of lint around :D:D:D

ArtisticDesign 11-30-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by amma
but I noticed unwashed black fabric is more magnetic to every bit of lint around :D:D:D

well bummer lol...

Yes I did wash it Amma..I just didn't use any fabric softner

Maride 11-30-2010 01:23 PM

I use a lot of black...believe me. I always have the same problem but find that using a lint roller is enough to get it clean. Every time I go to the ironing board I roll it and it gets clean. I make mainly wallhangings and don't wash the fabrics because I like the crisp look, and since they are not meant to be washed there is no possibility of colors running.

ArtisticDesign 11-30-2010 01:26 PM

I agree about the wallhangings Maride...I'm just not so sure how he'd feel about using a lint roller everytime he used his pillow(laugh)..He may just have to suffaaa lol

LovinMySoldier 11-30-2010 01:32 PM

I hope the fabric softener works. I found a black marbled color a bit back and by the time I was done hauling it around the store I ended up putting it back because it picked up every little piece of everything. I figured it would always just show everything. I didn't think about washing and drying a small piece to see if that would help. I hope it works for you. Let us know how it works or if you find a different method. I am not up for lint rolling a pillow case if I use it every time either :)

ArtisticDesign 11-30-2010 01:40 PM

I'll defintely report back if anything helps...I'll try fabric softner first..Give it a test ..Then I'll also try spraying with static guard after the dryer..If that works..I guess I'll be giving static guard for Christmas as well lol

Maride 11-30-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
I agree about the wallhangings Maride...I'm just not so sure how he'd feel about using a lint roller everytime he used his pillow(laugh)..He may just have to suffaaa lol

After it is washed a couple of times it will not stick anymore.

ArtisticDesign 11-30-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
After it is washed a couple of times it will not stick anymore.

Really, interesting...That would be great...I'll report back all results..Thanks you guys

Love, Peace and Quilting

grann of 6 11-30-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
I am about to make my son pillow cases to match his soon to be wall hanging+quilt...I'm literally sitting at my machine, everything cut and ready to sew..But I hesitate.
Problem is, my black fabric is picking up every bit of lint/hair etc and I expect this to some degree given its blk.....I know they have no pets and it'll be mostly on the bed... But I hate it... I've never noticed my other drk fabrics do this..
The pillow cases will be so dramatically awesome when finished and I know he'll totally love them...
Anyone know of something that will cut down on this problem, such as spraying with Cling Free?

I washed the fabric. Did not use any fabric softener if that makes any difference....Thanks so much

Someone in a fabric store once told me that a lot of the lint you see on black is due to the fact that the fabric is dyed and the lint you see is actually coming from the fabric itself. I had never thought of that, but if you study the back of it you will see. Either fabric softener or the sheets should help with your problem.