Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Lint in My Machine OH MY!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lint-my-machine-oh-my-t47561.html)

CajunQuilter2 05-29-2010 02:53 PM

A few days ago I read a post on here about cleaning out our machine. Well today as I was zooming along on a binding for a quilt my DH wants to give to a co-worker whos wife had a baby my machine started acting up. So I tried to do the usual lint cleaning but it still would just not work right. I remembered them saying to take either the back or bottom off, well, mine is on the side. Lordy me.....and then I realized also that I had jammed some of that lint onto that wheel while trying to get it out.......If I had taken a picture I guarantee you it would have been a whole hand full of lint and that is no exageration. I am still trying to get some of it out but can tell a big difference already. I think I am gonna have to go get that canned air to be able to get the rest out. Told DH I probably just saved him about $100...........

seamstome 05-29-2010 02:54 PM

It's almost embarrassing to see all that lint, isnt it? Kind of like looking under the refrigerator.

amma 05-29-2010 02:54 PM

It does collect down there LOL I am amazed at how much and how quickly it accumulates :roll:
Good you thought to check... maybe freeing up $100 for new fabric :wink: :D:D:D

craftybear 05-29-2010 02:57 PM

glad you cleaned your lint out of your machine

Lacelady 05-29-2010 02:58 PM

PLEASE don't buy canned air - it will only end up blowing some of the dust/fluff into your machine. Try using a vacuum instead. At least you will suck it out rather than blowing it into the works. I bought a small, cheap hand held one specially for this purpose, but you could equally use one of the attachements on a standard size vacuum.

2 Doods 05-29-2010 03:07 PM

I saw that post too. Thank Goodness! I was having trouble with my feed dogs not staying up. I thought it was a spring or something that needed a trip to the shop. After searching on the internet to find out how to take it all apart-I found so much lint packed under there it looked like felt. I got it all cleaned out and she runs like a champ now! Like having a new machine.

Ninnie 05-29-2010 03:14 PM

I did that once, it was unbelievable, and now I try to clean it at least once a week if I am doing a lot of sewing.

CajunQuilter2 05-29-2010 04:00 PM

I finally got every thing back together and it sews SEW good. OMG how could I have gone so long without doing a better cleaning. I will be more dilegent after this.

cwessel47 05-29-2010 04:11 PM

Take off the plate over the feed dogs. That's the spot. Lint turns into felt, turns into cement if you don't get it out. Really small paint brushes are a godsend in this endeavor.

IrishNY 05-29-2010 04:11 PM

I heard that putting a straw through a hole in the bottom of a paper cup and then put the vacuum hose in the paper cup works. I tried it and it works well. Really gets all the lint out.