Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-genie-magic-bobbin-washers-t187268.html)

Candace 04-26-2012 07:05 PM

I have at least 15 machines and have never had the need for any product like that.. my machines and my stitching are great.

irishrose 04-26-2012 08:13 PM

I'm with Candace on this. I've never had a bird's nest or eyelash so there's no need for one.

BellaBoo 04-26-2012 09:26 PM

They are for fmqing and long arms.

CAS49OR 04-26-2012 10:08 PM

I made my own out of silicone oven liner. I don't know if they help or not, but I haven't done much FMQ.

Sunnye 04-27-2012 02:47 AM

I have one in my Baby Lock Quilter's Dream and love it. Haven't had any "problems."
I started using my Singer for piecing recently and forgot to use the genie. I noticed nests on my sewing; using the same thread as in my Baby Lock!
They must be doing something!
I have read that they last for a LONG time. I'm still using my first one. Just don't lose it when you change bobbins! They are tricky to find on the floor.

kittyannart 04-27-2012 03:54 AM

I use to use them in my Viking Designer SE just when it was set up to embroider - really made a difference! Then I tried them for all sewing in both my machines and I do feel there is a definite difference in the stitch quality especially when FMQing. I believe the quilting diva Sharon Schamber also uses the Genies. These may be just a specialty type of washer that might can be had via a local plumbing store (I'd heard this on another group but have not checked it out).

pinkberrykay 04-27-2012 04:45 AM

My LQS let my "try these out" during a class and I did not notice any difference.

quiltstringz 04-27-2012 05:43 AM

There are 2 sizes they should be marked for domestic sewing machines (I believe 6942A) and there is a size that says for Long Arm machines. You have to be careful about that as the ones marked for LA are only for the LAs that have the larger bobbin - LAs with the regular size bobbin use the ones for DSM

quiltstringz 04-27-2012 05:45 AM

Forgot to mention, these are not necessary for regular (straight) sewing but are intended to decrease the backlash that you get when FMQ. I do find them helpful for this

jkretz 04-27-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye (Post 5173351)
I have one in my Baby Lock Quilter's Dream and love it. Haven't had any "problems."
I started using my Singer for piecing recently and forgot to use the genie. I noticed nests on my sewing; using the same thread as in my Baby Lock!
They must be doing something!
I have read that they last for a LONG time. I'm still using my first one. Just don't lose it when you change bobbins! They are tricky to find on the floor.

I agree with Sunnye. They have helped me with my regular sewing and also with my quilting. Although I haven't gotten up the nerve to do FMQ, yet. That is on my to do list, when I don't have anyone else in the house to hear my comments to myself when I am not fast enough to keep up with the machine.