Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log cabin heart Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-heart-block-t203811.html)

jcrow 10-21-2012 08:43 AM

That looks interesting all right. But do you glue it together instead of sewing it?

urgodschild2 10-21-2012 09:31 AM

I have made one of these in a different pattern and it is a foam board and you take the material and just punch in into the form. the pattern is printed on the board. all the material is included in the kit. it turns out beautiful but it is only something you can hang on the wall. You can not use it in a quilt. That said.......I love this pattern. I think that it could be made but you would have to paper piece it. you would have to copy the design on graph paper and then it could be put on paper piecing paper to make. It might be a lot of work but I think that it would be beautiful when it is done. I am thinking of trying it.

0tis 10-21-2012 09:41 AM

It looks like 4 log cabins in the background - then you could make a large log cabin then use the large one to cut a heart out of the shape and applique it on? Just an idea.

MTS 10-21-2012 06:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I started this in the morning but EQ kept freezing on me.
And then I gave up.

The construction of this is relatively easy, with a few options on how to approach it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371577[/ATTACH]

First let's looks at the 4 blocks (Block A) that make up the background.

Assuming that you want to keep the same proportions as the kit from Hancocks,
you'll be dealing with 3/4" FINISHED logs,
each quarter block will be will be 7-1/2" FINISHED,
and the 4 blocks together, with the heart in the center, will FINISH at 15".

If you want to change the measurements, you just multiply your desired FINISHED log size by 10, and that will be the FINISHED block size.
You start with a square that is twice the size of a log.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371575[/ATTACH]

Note that most of the sizes listed below are FINISHED - remember to add 1/2" for the seam allowance.

So if the logs are 3/4", you start with a 1.5" FINISHED square (cut 2").
If you want the logs to be 1", for a 10" block, you start with a 2" FINISHED square (cut 2.5").

I'm not going into detail about the actual construction of the log cabin block.
You've got a few choices, and plenty of easily available information via Google searches.

You can paper piece/foundation piece the 4 blocks based on the drawing above - this allows you to easily add the white piece, and make sure the logs are added correctly and at a consistent size.
This is the method I personally would do.

Or you can make a complete log cabin block, turn it over, draw a SEWING line where you want to add the white piece.
It's easy enough to see in the diagram where it's supposed to go.
I would put Log Cabin block right sides together with a white square and sew on that line.
Cut 1/2" away (MAKE SURE you're cutting to the correct side of the sewing line).
This avoids working with any exposed bias.

Either method, or another of your choosing, make 4 of these blocks.
Sew the 4 blocks together with the white triangles towards the center.

For the heart log cabin block, the logs are the same size as above (whatever you decided on), except the middle log is also the same size. So it would be a 3/4" FINISHED square (cut 1-1/4").

As EQ was freezing on me so I couldn't draw the heart correctly.

The method I would use to make the heart would be to make a log cabin block (see block B).
Notice the color pattern is different.
If you turn the drawing on point, you can see how you the heart would be placed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371576[/ATTACH]

Then I would take the template of a heart - you can draw your own, position it over the log cabin block, and cut out 1/4" away from the template.
Look at the Hancock's picture again for correct proportions and placement of the heart template.

Place and applique the heart shaped log cabin in the center of the white area on the joined blocks you made above.

And that's that.

mtngrl 10-22-2012 03:00 AM

I'd use the Penny Haren technique to applique the 4 patch with heart cutout onto the center block then sew the corner log cabin sections on.

JoantheQuilter 10-22-2012 03:17 AM

Yes, this is a foam board quilt. You buy the supplies, use a tool to 'poke' the fabric into the foam. No sewing at all.

cannyquilter 10-22-2012 03:30 AM

Thanks very much for this I've added it to my to do list (OH NO)

Originally Posted by MTS (Post 5602612)

I started this in the morning but EQ kept freezing on me.
And then I gave up.

The construction of this is relatively easy, with a few options on how to approach it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371577[/ATTACH]

First let's looks at the 4 blocks (Block A) that make up the background.

Assuming that you want to keep the same proportions as the kit from Hancocks,
you'll be dealing with 3/4" FINISHED logs,
each quarter block will be will be 7-1/2" FINISHED,
and the 4 blocks together, with the heart in the center, will FINISH at 15".

If you want to change the measurements, you just multiply your desired FINISHED log size by 10, and that will be the FINISHED block size.
You start with a square that is twice the size of a log.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371575[/ATTACH]

Note that most of the sizes listed below are FINISHED - remember to add 1/2" for the seam allowance.

So if the logs are 3/4", you start with a 1.5" FINISHED square (cut 2").
If you want the logs to be 1", for a 10" block, you start with a 2" FINISHED square (cut 2.5").

I'm not going into detail about the actual construction of the log cabin block.
You've got a few choices, and plenty of easily available information via Google searches.

You can paper piece/foundation piece the 4 blocks based on the drawing above - this allows you to easily add the white piece, and make sure the logs are added correctly and at a consistent size.
This is the method I personally would do.

Or you can make a complete log cabin block, turn it over, draw a SEWING line where you want to add the white piece.
It's easy enough to see in the diagram where it's supposed to go.
I would put Log Cabin block right sides together with a white square and sew on that line.
Cut 1/2" away (MAKE SURE you're cutting to the correct side of the sewing line).
This avoids working with any exposed bias.

Either method, or another of your choosing, make 4 of these blocks.
Sew the 4 blocks together with the white triangles towards the center.

For the heart log cabin block, the logs are the same size as above (whatever you decided on), except the middle log is also the same size. So it would be a 3/4" FINISHED square (cut 1-1/4").

As EQ was freezing on me so I couldn't draw the heart correctly.

The method I would use to make the heart would be to make a log cabin block (see block B).
Notice the color pattern is different.
If you turn the drawing on point, you can see how you the heart would be placed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371576[/ATTACH]

Then I would take the template of a heart - you can draw your own, position it over the log cabin block, and cut out 1/4" away from the template.
Look at the Hancock's picture again for correct proportions and placement of the heart template.

Place and applique the heart shaped log cabin in the center of the white area on the joined blocks you made above.

And that's that.

linmid 10-22-2012 04:28 AM

Why can't you just buy this kit and sew it instead of pushing it down into the foam board?

MTS 10-22-2012 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by linmid (Post 5603236)
Why can't you just buy this kit and sew it instead of pushing it down into the foam board?

Reason 1:
$42 for a 15" inch wall hanging!?!?!??!?

KyKaren1949 10-22-2012 05:17 AM

This is not a quilt block that you sew. It comes with a plastic frame that has foam rubber in it, with slits cut out in this pattern.You use a tool like a plastic knife to push small pieces of fabric into those little slits. When you're finished, it looks like a sewn quilt block. You can hang them on walls or stand them on shelves. They're easy to make. I didn't buy the tool, I used a plastic knife that came with my grandson's play doh set.