Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log Cabin help - colors, size & amt of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-help-colors-size-amt-fabric-t111022.html)

PghPat 03-26-2011 07:04 PM

Hi All - I know I can come here and get answers to all my quilting questions.

I love the Log Cabin block and have made a couple wall hangings, sewing machine cover, etc using them but have never made a quilt at all other than 2 rag quilts. I'd like to make my first quilt - a queen size using the Log Cabin blocks. But I would like to use only one dark floral print and one light floral tonal print. I have never seen one made with just 2 colors of fabric. Does anyone have a picture of one they could post for me? I'd like to see what it'd look like.

Next, how much of each fabric would I need if I cut 2.5 strips? Is that a good width for the strips? How many blocks would I need for a queen size - not to the floor - just below the mattress?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pat

quilting cat 03-26-2011 07:11 PM

How many strips do you want in each block?
Is the center square a third fabric?
If you have 3 "logs" (each 2" wide) on each size of a 2" center square, you will have a 14" square, finished size.
6 x 14 = 84, 7 x 14 = 98 See if these measurements fit your bed.

PghPat 03-26-2011 07:21 PM

I plan on using a solid white cente square and then 9 strips around the center. I'll have to measure the bed in the morning - I hear snoring in there right now - LOL!

I'm terrible at figuring measurements on blocks.

Pat

ChubbyBunny 03-26-2011 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Pat, I just designed a quick queen size log cabin with my EQ6. The quilt is 92x92. The blocks are 12x12 and the strips are 2 inches wide. I only used 3 fabrics for the blocks. A red for the center, a dark blue floral and light floral. Does this look like what you had in mind?

Layout #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175576[/ATTACH]

Layout #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175577[/ATTACH]

quilting cat 03-26-2011 07:25 PM

A way to calculate fabric for this quilt is area (length x width) of quilt times 1.4 (to account for seam allowances and strip ends). Divide by 1500, the approximate area of one yard in inches. This is the total fabric, in yards. Round up.
If you want 84 x 98, only two fabrics, 4 yards each should do it.
(Cecelia - what does EQ say for yardage?)

PghPat 03-26-2011 07:33 PM

Actually, I'm just thinking - 2.5 inch strips would most likely be too wide - and maybe using 1.5 inch wide strip would make a nicer looking quilt? Your opinion?

This being my first quilt is a big deal to me - LOL -something most of you not havng to put nearly as much thought into it! Maybe some day I'll get there.

Pat

PghPat 03-26-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
Hi Pat, I just designed a quick queen size log cabin with my EQ6. The quilt is 92x92. The blocks are 12x12 and the strips are 2 inches wide. I only used 3 fabrics for the blocks. A red for the center, a dark blue floral and light floral. Does this look like what you had in mind?

Yes, Chubby Bunny - it is what I have in mind. So how much of each of the light and dark fabric would I need to buy? Thank You!

Pat

PghPat 03-26-2011 07:39 PM

Thanks Cat!

Is the EQ that you talk about a program on your sewing machine or on your computer? That must be a really neat thing to have.

Pat

spinnergs 03-26-2011 08:54 PM

EQ is a computer program about $150.00 but well worth the price for a quilter to have in their arsenal. It designs, puts in fabric, lays out patterns, caculates yardage, etc.

ChubbyBunny 03-26-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny

Yes, Chubby Bunny - it is what I have in mind. So how much of each of the light and dark fabric would I need to buy? Thank You!

Pat

Fabric requirements for the quilt top.....

Red print for center of blocks: 1 1/8 yards
Light floral print: 2 1/2 yards
Dark floral print: 3 yards
Border fabric: 2 1/2 yards

EQ6 is a computer program. You use it to design quilts and quilt blocks. I love it!