Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   log cabin question how to (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-question-how-t69484.html)

cjr 10-10-2010 07:46 PM

I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?

amma 10-10-2010 07:51 PM

If you precut all of your pieces, theoretically they will all go together into a perfectly square, correct sized block.

However, I am not one to always "go by the book" and I tend to piece the way you are.
I would take the time to measure and square up as you go, and you should be fine.

tlrnhi 10-10-2010 07:55 PM

You mean we are supposed to follow directions? Ut oh, I guess I'm in trouble because I don't cut all my pieces first.

Fancy Nancy 10-10-2010 08:15 PM

i cut strips as i do each block. learned the hard way when precut and 1/2 of them were cut too short and well you know...

Shorebird 10-10-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjr
I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?

I ese Eleanor Burns' method for piecing log cabin blocks....she does not precut, and neither do I. I have never had a block curl.........but I have, before I began using HER method, had logs precut and they were too short....ugh....her method is great, as you true up as you piece, so you wind up with perfect blocks........

Mailmanldy 10-10-2010 08:39 PM

I have Marti Michelles Log Cabin ruler... haven't made one yet, but it gives you lines for how wide to cut the fabric and then the lengths to cut the strips so they all go together correctly... I'm going to have to dig that out and try one one of these days. I have her kaleidoscope rulers also, and need to use them as well... I love gadgets... just don't have the time to use them all.

Lady Crafter 10-10-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird

Originally Posted by cjr

I ese Eleanor Burns' method for piecing log cabin blocks....she does not precut, and neither do I. I have never had a block curl.........but I have, before I began using HER method, had logs precut and they were too short....ugh....her method is great, as you true up as you piece, so you wind up with perfect blocks........

Don't forget to toss the scraps over your shoulder!

I, too, cut as I go. I shudder to think of too-short precut logs. It is MUCH easier to trim from a strip, and I've never had curly cabins. :D

np3 10-10-2010 08:50 PM

I agree, I cut as I go.

Sadiemae 10-10-2010 11:14 PM

Your Instructor probably told you that because some people stretch the logs and then they will curl. I cut as I go also, just be sure not to stretch your fabric.

Nancy S. 10-11-2010 03:18 AM

Just so all you "cut as I go" people, the QUILT POLICE are at your door. ha ha. I think what ever works.