Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lone Star Quilt gone wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lone-star-quilt-gone-wrong-t99549.html)

Prism99 02-13-2011 05:41 PM

It doesn't look that bad to me. I would block each piece to size using Sharon Schamber's spray starching technique. Here is a link to her video on how to stretch a block (she also has one on how to shrink a block):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkF02vpVuw

The hardest part of doing this is drawing an accurate template for blocking purposes.

quilter1943 02-13-2011 05:43 PM

Jillaine Just let us know what you do and how it turns out. Jan (Quilter 1943)

gal288 02-13-2011 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jillaine, It's heartbreaking, but has happened to all of us at one time or another.

You could try this, it will change the look somewhat, but at least it may save you money and time.

Measure each of the legs of all the triangles, establish a mean measurement. Let's say is 14", for example.

1)Cut 24 (1") strips of the most neutral fabric 14".
2)Sew a strip to the long legs of each triangle, carefully pinning to make it fit the strip.Some will have to be stretched, some eased.
3) In the center, sew 1 strip to 1 length, then sew another triangle to that strip, and repeat.

I did a quick scale in EQ to give you a visual. It's going to be work but less than ripping out all those squares. The pink strips are the adjustment.

nativetexan 02-13-2011 06:03 PM

boy, if you can't rescue the second half of them, use the first half for a half diamond. they look good!!

amma 02-13-2011 06:19 PM

I would pick the smallest diamond. Then pick one of the other diamonds, placing them right sides together. Check to see how far off the first seam is on the second one, and sew it to match the smaller diamond's seam. Continue doing this on all of the seam lines. Then match that same smaller one to another one of the diamonds the same way. I would not rip out the seams, as you would probably end up with more puckers and problems.

This may throw off your set in diamonds, you may have to cut them a little smaller to fit :wink: :D:D:D

jillaine 02-13-2011 06:20 PM

Wow, what a wonderful community I've found tonight. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I'm going to try the Sharon Schamber resizing on one of the diamonds and see if I can get anywhere near what it needs to be.

Gal288, I'd considered something akin to what you suggest, but I like your execution of it much better. I'm still not sure it will work if my diamonds aren't true-- won't they be just as "untrue" surrounded by edges?

I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully there will be a before and after shot. Now let me go see if I have any spray starch and something to pin this to.

-- Jillaine
p.s. and here I thought the double-wedding ring was tough... (see profile photo)

xsquilter 02-13-2011 06:21 PM

Geez, I'm sorry this has come to a standstill, the fabrics are so pretty.
Maureen

gal288 02-13-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine
Wow, what a wonderful community I've found tonight. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I'm going to try the Sharon Schamber resizing on one of the diamonds and see if I can get anywhere near what it needs to be.

Gal288, I'd considered something akin to what you suggest, but I like your execution of it much better. I'm still not sure it will work if my diamonds aren't true-- won't they be just as "untrue" surrounded by edges?

I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully there will be a before and after shot. Now let me go see if I have any spray starch and something to pin this to.

-- Jillaine
p.s. and here I thought the double-wedding ring was tough... (see profile photo)

I don't think so, not if you average out the side leg of the triangles, cut the strips that measurement and then make the legs fit, that should bring them all to the same size. There will be some puckering, but I think when you quilt it can be managed.

Good luck, let us see how it goes. Atleast try it in the center and see if it goes together okay.

Jan in VA 02-13-2011 06:37 PM

IF your changes don't work out as you'd like, how about usiing the "points" as independent sections and placing them elsewhere in a top or border. The size discrepancy perhaps won't be so obvious then.

Jan in VA

jillaine 02-13-2011 06:45 PM

Well, I don't have spray starch, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow (almost 10pm here; if I had the car, I'd run up to the 24-hour Safeway...)

In the meantime, I've measured the eight finished diamonds; NONE of them are true. The closest one to "true" is 13.5 x 12.5.

Four of them are 14 x 12.5 (ugh)

Three of them are 14 x 13

So, I *think* I need to shoot for 13 x 13, right?

Or am I just um... screwed? (sorry for the language...)