Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long Arm Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-machine-t164342.html)

QuiltingGrannie 10-30-2011 07:43 AM

I'd go with the long arm if you already have the sewing machine that you need.
With the longarm you can quilt larger quilts, load several smaller ones at the same time as long as they all have the same backing on them.

It also depends on the longarm you are looking at in comparison and what bells and whistles it has.

I have a Nolting 18" Longarm and love it! I also have the computer system set up with it which makes it really nice!
I have a less expensive Brother SQ9000 sewing machine that I also love. It does what I need it too.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

Candace 10-30-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Helena
I have a chance of purchasing an old dependable Bernina electronic machine vs. a new long arm machine for probably the same money. Which would you do given the fact I make lots of baby quilts?

I would question what long arm you'd get for the same money as an old Bernina??? Lots of folks through out the term long arm, when it's really not a long arm at all.

sandyquilts 10-30-2011 07:54 AM

Longarm, I have a Nolting PRO 24". Anything 18" and over is considered a longarm otherwise it's a shortarm or midarm. Can't wait to see what you choose. Good Luck

Jamiestitcher62 10-30-2011 08:12 AM

Another question for the longarmers on here, would a Janome Horizon 7700 with the 11" space work on a Grace Start-Right Frame?

valleyquiltermo 10-30-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by Helena
I have a chance of purchasing an old dependable Bernina electronic machine vs. a new long arm machine for probably the same money. Which would you do given the fact I make lots of baby quilts?

I would question what long arm you'd get for the same money as an old Bernina??? Lots of folks through out the term long arm, when it's really not a long arm at all.

Ditto :?:

fabric_fancy 10-30-2011 08:44 AM

long arm

Helena 10-30-2011 09:36 AM

OOPS! I guess I used the term "long arm" incorrectly. I meant the machines that have a longer center opening from the needle to the other side of the machine. The older Berninas width in the center is only 7". The newer machines have a much wider opening.

wolph33 10-30-2011 09:50 AM

longarm-you have more creative space front to back than a standard machine because of the larger throat depth

nana2madmax 10-31-2011 05:49 AM

I just got my Gammill Vision. I LOVE it and it has made life so much easier when it comes time to quilt. It is amazing how quickly you can quilt a baby quilt (or any other for that matter). No longer do I have to push, pull or scrunch quilts to position them under my needle. Go for the long arm!

sunnymom 10-31-2011 06:27 AM

My vote is a long arm.