Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   long arm quilting machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-quilting-machine-t48812.html)

Pattil 06-08-2010 04:43 AM

can anyone walk me through putting on the "leader cloths" on my frame? I purchased a new "long arm" and I really confused how to get them on. I have "three" that go on.

Thank you so much,

Ripped on Scotch 06-08-2010 04:54 AM

Which long arm and frame did you purchase? it makes a difference on the way they are set up.

jamh 06-08-2010 06:37 AM

I have handi quilter II frame and i used heavy duty duct tape! then all i do is baste stitch my quilt to that

Donna - Batiks 06-08-2010 06:40 AM

Go to YouTube and goggle Handi quilter. It's amazing the video's you can watch to help you with that.

Justquilting 06-08-2010 06:42 AM

Instead of duct tape I use sticky velcro on the pipes & sew the other side to the leaders.
That way if you want to take them off you can put them back.

BKrenning 06-08-2010 07:05 AM

I used painter's tape on my first frame and just taped them to a seam line on the poles. On the second frame I used sticky back velcro on the poles.

I use T-pins to pin my backing & quilt tops to the leaders. Didn't want to mess with zippers, basting guns or anything else. The pins stay in the leaders so I don't have to go hunting for them later.

craftybear 06-08-2010 12:22 PM

Please post the name of your longarm so others can help you, good luck

Originally Posted by Pattil
can anyone walk me through putting on the "leader cloths" on my frame? I purchased a new "long arm" and I really confused how to get them on. I have "three" that go on.

Thank you so much,

myquiltingthyme 06-08-2010 12:46 PM

Congratulations on your new machine! I have a Handiquilter and mine are put on with the sticky velcro. It also is important to get it on with a straight line. A laser light was used and worked like a charm! It is handy to be able to take your quilt on and off. I have a double set of leaders for when I'm practicing and then when I need to do a real quilt I just switch out the leaders...easy on...easy off! Hope that helps! :-D

Yarn or Fabric 06-08-2010 02:12 PM

I just put leaders on my frame - made them out of decorator striped fabric... I used wide masking tape to put them on.
I will probably do the velcro next time around - get sticky back to put on the poles and regular sew in for the material... love that idea!

Pattil 06-08-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pattil

Thank you so much,

I want to thank all of you for your great suggestions on how to put on the Leader cloths on my quilting frame....wish some of you were here in Ohio and I'd have you over for lunch and you could "walk me through it cause I sure am a little nervous about it. The name of my frame is "Pfaff Next Generation" from "The Grace Company"