Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long Arm Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-quilting-t6592.html)

cottagelover 04-28-2008 04:09 AM

Of course being new to quilting, this is probably a silly query, but does one pin etc when taking a quilt to be done on a long arm?
Further, how long does it take to do a 68 X 90 quilt on one of those machines, and is it done by the hour.
I think I need a new machine with a wider arm so I can get the quilt in the machine. I am having a hard time quilting this one, (my third) what can I say. I think I shall purchase bicycle clips to contain it.

lin 04-28-2008 05:10 AM

No, there's no need to baste your quilt before you take it to your long arm quilter, but as I understand it, they do like you to have several inches of extra batting and backing all around your quilt top. Like 6" extra maybe? You'd have to talk to the person doing your quilt to be sure what her requirements are.

I can only dream of having a long arm in my future. I'd love it. For now though, I do all my own quilting on my domestic machine (Juki), and I actually find it a lot easier to fit the bulk of the quilt under the needle if I don't restrict the quilt in any way. I just keep it fluffy in my lap and under the throat area. I've tried rolling and restricting it in the past and wound up frustrated. It can seem daunting to have all that bulk in so small an area, but if you just keep fluffing and rearranging, you can get more than you think under there! :) Keep up the good work!

Oh, and I have no idea how long it takes a longarmer to do one that size. Hopefully someone here will have more knowledge of longarming than I do. :)

ddrobins1956 04-28-2008 05:54 AM

I had a king size quilt done on a long arm. Since I was in no hurry for the quilt, she had it for about a month. It really depends on how much time they spend at it and how soon they want to get it done and be paid. I would ask the lady how long it will take, she'll have a good idea about the time frame.
I've only been able to quilt baby quilts or small lap quilts on my machine. It's just too frustrating for me with anything bigger and becomes more of an endurance test for me than a relaxing pass time.
My dream is to purchase a new or used deep throated machine this year, either a Juki or Janome and a Grace or Handiquilter frame. Still checking things out. I think I would be able to actually enjoy the quilting part then.

cottagelover 04-28-2008 06:41 AM

Have you ever gone and done the long arm quilting yourself? You know rent the longarm and do it just to see how hard it is to do.
There is a large one for sale in the area, second hand, they want $9,000.00 for it. A bit steep.
I looked at the tin lizzie which seems to be a bit more reasonable. A great christmas gift I should think.

maggiebooboo 04-28-2008 07:52 AM

I found mine on Craigslist for $1500. If you keep your eyes open you can find a great deal.

susan s. 05-04-2008 06:21 AM

It would epend on the machine if that is steep or sheap. Gamill's run in the $20,000.00 range so if it's oneof those in decent condition It's a deal!