Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Look What I Found at Goodwill Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/look-what-i-found-goodwill-today-t124546.html)

luce321 05-20-2011 04:46 PM

I went into Goodwill today to see if they had any sewing machines, believe it or not, there were three. A green colored Kenmore in a cabinet Model #2142. When I raised the head out of the cabinet, it would not rest down on cabinet. It was $24.99.

The second one was a ivory colored Kenmore in cabinet, model #5195 made in Japan. It was also $24.99 and looked in good condition.

The third one was a Necchi in a very nice cabinet, maple color. It was a desk type piece of furniture with three large drawers on the side, had most of the accessories, book and other data on the machine. It too was difficult getting the head to rest down on the machine, but I was able to do it. I wasn't able to try out the stitch because I had taken the bag of fabric scraps and thread out of the car when I took the car in for service. I did run the machine though and it worked fine. They were asking $35.00, and I got her to come down to $26.00 so I got it for $28.27, including tax.

Can anyone tell me what year it was made? The model No. is 536FB, there also was another number, 10534. I will pick it up tomorrow and will post a photo next week.

Lucy

erstan947 05-20-2011 04:50 PM

OK, where in LA? Monroe has never had anything....I guess I do not need to give up:)

Prism99 05-20-2011 04:53 PM

The Necchi is a good, strong machine and quite collectible. You will want to join the Necchi sewing machine group on Yahoo. They are likely to be able to help you out with information.

craftybear 05-20-2011 04:55 PM

Congratulations, I guess we all need to carry a piece of fabric with us to test drive the sewing machines that we find

Stitchnripper 05-20-2011 04:58 PM

Great find! I was in the Salvation Army in Baton Rouge yesterday and they had three not quite vintage machines and three vintage ones in cabinets. One was an Elna, one was a green one, pretty, not a name I am familiar with, and the other one was in the cabinet and I didn't lift it up. I have been to that Salvation Army about every 2 weeks for a few years and that was the first time I saw good machines except the portable one in a dome case, which I stupidly didn't buy when I saw one about 6 months ago. Still kicking myself!!!!. One day I will find another featherweight.

irishrose 05-20-2011 05:00 PM

Did you buy all three or only the Necchi? You got a bargain at that price. Necchi did not keep good records. Is your logo a VN or just an N? Is it a zigzag machine? Is it black or a pretty pink or liliac?

I paid $27 for mine at the Salvation Army store. Mine is pre 1950, black with no zigzag.

stitchnripper, FWs don't come ina domed cases. If it was 3/4 size with a bentwood case, it probably was a 128 or a 99 if that makes you feel any better.

jmabby 05-20-2011 05:20 PM

Any pictures of the Necchi

Momo 05-20-2011 05:55 PM

Hi Luce321,
I Love Louisiana, my home state. Keep the good times sewing!
Great find and I hope you get lots of sewing pleasure from your find.

Carron 05-20-2011 07:32 PM

The good will stores in this area never have great finds as yours do. Congrats.

Demshine 05-20-2011 08:48 PM

Great find!