Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for advice for my new Yo-Yo project...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-advice-my-new-yo-yo-project-t54629.html)

JEM65 07-15-2010 09:39 AM

I want to start on a new project using Yo-Yos to make a coverlet and some decorative toss pillows. I hope Patti notices this post and puts out her knowledge, she made a spectacular set.

No. 1 Do you love to use the Clover Yo-YO makers? Do they make creating a Yo-Yo so much easier and uniform?

No. 2 Please advise me on the best way to attach the Yo-Yos to each other to make visually nice strong rows while keeping the Yo-Yos still slightly puffy.

No. 3 How do you make Yo-Yos that look as if the edges have been folded over prior to gathering the Yo-Yo closed? ( Mine always show raw edges - but I have only made by hand not using a Yo-Yo maker.)

No. 4 Please share how you tye off your gathered thread. I always seem to lose the tightness of my gather as I know off.

Thank you for any help and experience you are willing to share.

Jackie

p38flygirl 07-15-2010 12:58 PM

I have made yo yo's both ways..I prefer using the clover makers..They are so uniform and quick to make and you have the folded edge [no raw edges ]
thanks, p38flygirl

GrandmaAlice 07-15-2010 01:02 PM

If you use the Clover yo yo maker, you end up with folded edges. Also, they make all your yo yo's uniform.
Grandma Alice

Patti 07-15-2010 01:27 PM

Hi Jackie
#1....I've never used a maker so I really can't comment on them.
#2....When I'm attaching the yo-yo's next to each other(as in the picture), I try to get the more flat edges next to each other. When you look at a yo-yo from the back, you will see some points and flat spots. Does that make sense?
#3....I have raw edges on mine. To minimize that, gather closer to the raw edge...but don't let it fray. This takes a little practice.
#4....I pull the thread as tight as I can and put my finger right next to the last stitch I made and tie a knot or two.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing it!!!

Patti

no1jan 07-15-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by p38flygirl
I have made yo yo's both ways..I prefer using the clover makers..They are so uniform and quick to make and you have the folded edge [no raw edges ]
thanks, p38flygirl

I agree as I have made them both ways. You can make them with the maker in half the time.

My SIL has made a queen quilt and cushions for a child's rocker.

She first tried sewing them together by hand, but changed to machine stitching as they started coming apart. This makes them very secure and straight.

Once I go around the maker and gather it together, I sew in each of the creases to secure even better. Then I tie a knot and pull the thread through to the side edge and snip off the thread leaving the end hidden inside. This is just the way I do it!

I haven't reached that part yet as I've only made 260. For the price of the yo-yo maker it is well worth it. You can pick it up at Joann's with the 50% off for under $3.00.

They also come in different sizes and shapes. I used the middle size.

JEM65 07-15-2010 07:22 PM

I just got home from JoAnns with 3 Clover Yo-Yo makers. I got the jumbo $8.99 - makes 3 1/2 inch finished Yo-Yos, an extra large $6.49 - makes a 2 3/8 inch finished Yo-Yo, and a large $5.99 - makes a 1.8 inch finished Yo-Yo. I used three coupons and paid $12.81 including tax! I can't wait to try them out!

moosegirl 07-16-2010 05:05 AM

I have made lots of yo-yo's and you can get uniform circles cut by a quilt shop that has an "accucut" machine for a small fee and it is really easy to turn under a small hem to gather-do not make the stitches to short that leaves a bigger center hole. Use hand quilting thread and lock the knot on the inside of the hem so it will not show. After stitching all the way around I extend past the starting point and draw up the thread, then stitch a couple of times in the opposite direction before tying the knot to the inside. Hope this helps. Moosegirl

Patti 07-16-2010 06:23 AM

Ummmmm.....a small hem on a yo-yo?!! I sorta like the little raw edge, but that's just me!!!

Good luck Jackie!!!!