Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for batting to be used for a rag guilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-batting-used-rag-guilt-t1520.html)

NewsletterBot 07-23-2007 08:41 PM

I am looking for batting to be used for a rag guilt. I want white. I don't know the best brands to get. I have done research and have come up with Warm and Natural as a great brand to use. What I don't know about this brand is how it reacts over time to being exposed if it is used as part of the rag. Also, does it rag when washed or is it to be used only in between.

Can anyone guide me through this? Thank you in advance!

Blessed, Louise

patricej 07-24-2007 01:09 AM

the batting isn't supposed to be part of the rag. cut the batting smaller (to the size the finished squares will be) so it just fills the pockets formed when you stitch the blocks together.

live2teach 07-24-2007 06:55 PM

Patrice is absolutely right. Make sure to cut the batting smaller than the origional square. The finished square would be the perfect size for the batting. If you wanted to go a different route you could opt for flannel instead of batting that way you could cut the flannel squares the same size as your rag quilt squares and it would make it more raggedy. Good luck on your rag quilt. :D

cjtinkle 07-25-2007 03:10 PM

I usually use flannel for rag quilts. A lighter weight option is to use Osnaburg as the "batting". It frays beautifully.

ilena 07-25-2007 04:59 PM

I always use warm and natural or warm and white. I love that it is all cotton. It keeps us all very warm without the bulk. I have never though used it for a rag quilt (I am actually in the process of making my first denim rag and will only use the flannel backing with no batting). I do soak/prewash warm and natural (according to the directions) and have never had problems with shrinkage. The baby quilts have been washed countless times and have held up nicely. I would definitely recommend this batting.

BarbC 07-25-2007 05:19 PM

I used flannel instead of batting. Cut it the same size as the rest of my fabric and let it fray. Came out great! Barb C

Rebecca Chambley 07-26-2007 02:45 AM

I have used batting in my rag quilts, low loft, cut the finished size of block. If some gets caught as I'm sewing together, then I trim it out when I have to go back and rag all blocks. I've also used flannel. I like both ways. However my blocks have alittle more puff after quilt is washed. I like the effect of rag and puff, But it's your quilt and your choice, However you choose it will be beautiful.

Suz 07-28-2007 10:42 AM

If your quilt is flannel with flannel backing; denim w/flannel, it will be plenty warm and I wouldn't use any batting.

I made a flannel/flannel/warm&natural and it is so heavy. My grands love it, but it is just too heavy (and warm) for me.

All this to say, determine its use and user as well as your climate, then decide if you need the extra layer of batting.

Suzanne

Knot Sew 07-28-2007 02:53 PM

I am making a flannel rag quilt, multi colors on top, all blue on back.
I used all kind of batting and cut it a little smaller than the squares. I then put a sandwich together and sew from corner to corner and make an x. this way nothing shifts. I than put the pieces together

Rebecca Chambley 07-28-2007 04:06 PM

Ruth
I used the same procedure when I made my rag coat, as well as when I made a queen quilt. Keeps everything from shifting, as you stated.