Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for a designer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-designer-t110621.html)

peggy463 03-25-2011 10:16 AM

Hello I am looking for someone to design me a quilt pattern for a queen bed that would have a music theme, "simple" formal black and white with minimal accents of red. I have the back of it, but cannot find a pattern anywhere in the world for music themed quilt. Most quilts are so busy that it takes away from the music theme.
thanks
peggy

sewwhat85 03-25-2011 10:20 AM

i have a friend that designs quilts i will ask her

peggy463 03-25-2011 10:21 AM

Thank you sewwhat85
Peggy

milp04 03-25-2011 10:38 AM

Hi Peggy,

Can you mention a few more items related to music that you would want included?

Music themed..could relate to many different things? Words that help: such as classical, jazz, rock and roll, music score, instruments--which ones, etc. Can you post a picture of the backing that you have? Do you like squares, rectangles, pinwheels, etc.?

Do you want music themed fabrics? Have you seen some you like, some you don't like, etc.?

Just brainstorm and write down the first things that come to mind when you think about what you want the quilt to look like. Then include a list of your personal tastes. Is this for you for your home? How do you decorate your home? Modern, country, mixture--what mixture? Provide pictures of the room where the quilt will be used. Do you or have you played any instruments? Then include a list for things you don't want.

The answers to these and other questions will help provide details for getting the music themed quilt you desire.

I have some ideas, as I've been thinking about a music themed quilt for some time. I'd be glad to help you in the process but I'm not a paid quilt designer. I'm just always thinking about quilt designs that I'd like to complete someday.

Pam M

peggy463 03-25-2011 10:49 AM

Hello milp04 and thank you!
My daughter is a "classically trained concert pianist and flutist with a degree in music. I want it mostly black and white/cream with a touch of red accents. I have most of the fabric, but not all of it because I am not sure what else to purchase. For the back of the quilt I have several yards of some wonderful cotton that is done in a creamish background with black silhouettes of the many of the Classical composers. For the border I was thinking I would like it to be done in a piano keyboard(but not for sure yet on that). Other than that I have no ideas on how to put it together. But no colorful pieces. Just simple, elegant and classically formal. I have NO imagination. If you create this pattern, I know there is a huge demand for it. I have heard the 6 or 9 patch disappearing blocks would work, but I have NO clue. I just follow instructions:-)
Peggy

peggy463 10-20-2011 04:59 AM

She is a classical trained musician as in "Classical Music." She plays piano and flute professionally in Orchestra's. I want the quilt to be formal in appearance with black and white music note fabric. I was thinking a pieced or appliqued black grand piano in a larger square on point dead center, piano key fabric as final border. Other than that I do not know. I have a lot of black and white music note fabric as well as black and cream and some black and red. I want a red rose maybe sitting on the piano somewhere and a flute(maybe pieced, maybe appliqued, maybe embroidered some) next to a music stand or on the piano bench or some where. I also have yards of 8" "silhouettes of famous composers(Bach, Beethoven, Brahms....etc) in black and cream that I was thinking of doing something with too, I don't know what yet. But using tiny little squares and sharp points wouldn't show case the music fabric or look right for a music flow since music isn't sharp or jagged, but it can have points and triangles in the right pattern which is where I can't figure it out. I have seen some music quilts online people have done with traditional quilt patterns, but they don't look like a "WOW" they look unorganized and the music theme doesn't come through and it isn't until you really look at them that you see "oh there is music fabric in there" almost like it was left over from something else. So I don't know if a quilt pattern can be made to suit a music theme because of the nature of quilt design. But I had to try.
thank you so much
peggy
Thank you so much

ghostrider 10-20-2011 06:56 AM

Hi, Peggy. I gather, by the seven month spacing in your posts, that you are still struggling with the design of this quilt for your daughter? You obviously don't want to merely 'settle' on something and that is to be admired.

I think possibly the reason you are not 'taken' by many of the designs you've seen is because they are predominantly composed (no pun intended) of straight lines and angles. Music flows, bends and soars and a quilt created with at least some curves would do the same.

This design, for instance, is greatly enhanced by the swirling notes along the bottom.
http://www.theozmaterialgirls.com/me...ze-p-1001.html

If you are comfortable working with curves, either pieced or appliqué, consider including them in your design ideas. Curves can still have the formal feel you are looking for and can be either repetitive (i.e., rhythmic) or varied. Just something to think about.