Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for interesting buttons. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-interesting-buttons-t206489.html)

AlienQuilter 11-20-2012 05:12 AM

Looking for interesting buttons.

Taking a year long class and some of the blocks the instructions suggest using buttons as embellishments. They need to be flat so I can use the button attachment on my sewing machine.

Looking for something unique. We have in our town a Hobby Lobby, Hancock's and Joann's. Whenever I see something I like - it's not a flat button.

Any suggestions - like an online source? BTW, I'm using 30's prints for my blocks and machine appliqued flowers. Any information would be appreciated.

QuiltnNan 11-20-2012 05:17 AM

you could try making your own... i've not done it, so don't know the names of the proper types of clay. i saw some on a blog the other day and they were very pretty.

janRN 11-20-2012 05:25 AM

I like Nan's idea of making your own. I've made my own but not out of clay. At Joanne's & Hobby Lobby they sell something for kids called ShrinkyDinks. You draw your design on some type of plastic, put them in the oven and they shrink down. After they cool, I heat a nail with a lighter and poke holes to make them into buttons.

Scraplady 11-20-2012 05:31 AM

You could try a local thrift shop. I have found some pretty awesome vintage buttons lurking on some pretty awful old clothes at the thrift store. It is often cheaper for the whole garment than for a card of buttons at a fabric store. And are sometimes easier to get off the old garments than some of those new buttons that are wired to the cards!

Tashana 11-20-2012 05:38 AM

Making clay buttons is not as easy as it sounds. I am a potter and a friend of mine made buttons from stone wear clay. You make the buttons, fire them in a kiln at very high temperatures, glaze them and then fire them again. There are certain types of clay that you can fire in your oven or air dry them but I am not sure how strong the button will be since i never worked with that tupe of clay. If it is for a wall hanging, not a problem, but for a quilt to be used and washed, I just do not know if these types of buttons would hold.
I saw some nice buttons sold by ACMoore, the craft store. Maybe you can try there, or estate sales, garage sales, and of course the eBay. Good luck.

Tartan 11-20-2012 05:50 AM

Someone posted a button source that she orders from about a week ago? The give a 10% discount for quiltingboard members. Maybe you can find her post and see if they have an online site to view buttons and order from.

Lori S 11-20-2012 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5669208)
Someone posted a button source that she orders from about a week ago? The give a 10% discount for quiltingboard members. Maybe you can find her post and see if they have an online site to view buttons and order from.

I think the site was called "lots of buttons" .. But I can not find the link. Hopefully someone will post it .. They really had lots of buttons.

AlienQuilter 11-20-2012 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5669451)
I think the site was called "lots of buttons" .. But I can not find the link. Hopefully someone will post it .. They really had lots of buttons.

Thank you so much! I just googled it: http://www.lotsofbuttons.com

I'm going to be ordering from them. They have exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks to all who responded - the forum members here are the best!

Peckish 11-20-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 5669161)
I like Nan's idea of making your own. I've made my own but not out of clay. At Joanne's & Hobby Lobby they sell something for kids called ShrinkyDinks. You draw your design on some type of plastic, put them in the oven and they shrink down. After they cool, I heat a nail with a lighter and poke holes to make them into buttons.

I've made Shrinky Dink buttons too, but I punch holes in them before shrinking. I just use a small hole punch, the kind you see ticket-takers use sometimes.

sassey 11-20-2012 06:09 PM

I have made buttons out of fimo clay you can use any color they have or mix your own color using 2 or more colors of clay you can also paint on them you bake them in your oven at a low temperture and they are very sturdy. If you want them shiny you can put floor wax on them but for something that would be washed I would use a more durable finish