Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for native American fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-native-american-fabric-t32450.html)

diogirl 12-27-2009 06:07 PM

I'm going to make my dad, who is native American Indian, a quilt. I'm having a hard time finding fabric. anyone know of a website I may find some on?

amma 12-27-2009 06:24 PM

What style or type of quilt do you have in mind? That would help us know what to help you search for :D:D:D

Bevanger 12-28-2009 05:16 AM

i saw alot during shop hops but no name is coming to mind. i sure hope you find some.

Elisabrat 12-28-2009 06:16 AM

look under southwestern prints, western prints/cowboy etc. usually tons of native patterned prints mixed in. My son years back asked me to make an "indians dream" quilt. No clue what that was so I made a crazy quilt with wolves in the center and water/sky prints swirling around it. Then I bordered the squares with a 12 inch border designed to look like tall mountains on the side, sky at the top and rocks and water at the bottom and appliqued two eagles soaring across the top and bottom.. he loved it. My husband is half native american so we mix it up a bit. I love the cowboys and well I love my Indian too :).

ghostrider 12-28-2009 08:44 AM

I'm probably sticking my neck out here, but I think if you limit your vision to using some sort of 'native american print' fabric, you will be disappointed. All I have ever seen or heard of in commercial fabrics are replicas of southwest tribal patterns, most often Navaho. There is a world of native culture east of the Mississippi and in 'less famous' western areas.

If I were doing this, I would concentrate more on the design of the quilt than the design of the fabrics in it. Do some research and find some of the art typical of your father's tribe. If there is something that has great meaning to him, by all means use that. We can certainly help with art research as well if you need it.

Base your quilt pattern on a graphic design similar to that, possibly using nothing but marbles and blenders for your fabrics. Traditionally, the fibers were dyed with plant dyes as 'solids' and the beauty of the finished blanket came from the overall arrangement of different colors into a unique pattern. Treat your quilt the same way. Something to think about anyway?

Damkina 12-28-2009 09:22 AM

My nephew is of Cherokee descent from his Great-Grandad who came over to England during the war... cough... and the inevitable happened. :wink:

Now at 13 he is really looking into his Native American ancestors and asked for a Wolf Quilt for Christmas. I had a right struggle trying to locate some the right kind of wolf or tribal fabric in the UK... it just isn't a theme many shops cater for.
I ended up ordering it from the States on Ebay.

His quilt was made using the 'Square in a Square' block with the wolves in the centre of the block and deep brown stone fabric for the sashing.

I'd also like to put a suggestion into the pot... using the Attic Window in various sizes with his tribal symbols etc appliqued in each of the windows. Would love to see your progress as you make your quilt.
Joanne

dgsmom 12-28-2009 11:23 AM

i have found some before on ebay and esty websites. i hope you find what you are looking for.

diogirl 12-28-2009 03:59 PM

He is Cherokee. I have a star pattern in mind with every other block solid with either indian or wolf fabric. I want to incorporate terquoise and browns in it too. I will look on ebay as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

sweetsie 12-28-2009 06:18 PM

I am married to a Seminole (Oklahoma Seminole) we live right next to the tribal center. The Seminole patchwork
is harder than you realize, the patchwork can resemble
their clans, or bands. They also have a tradition about
a brand new burial quilt, unused ever or it's devialed. The
first quilt was a burial quilt, but someone else got it
out and used it. There is no print to use for these indians.
If you know how you use the patchwork to fit the person.
The tribe changes it's mind all the time on the patchwork.
They dislike it because it's the Florida Seminoles patchwork
So it's best to just go with what the person wants.

Damkina 12-29-2009 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by sweetsie
I am married to a Seminole (Oklahoma Seminole) we live right next to the tribal center. The Seminole patchwork
is harder than you realize, the patchwork can resemble
their clans, or bands. They also have a tradition about
a brand new burial quilt, unused ever or it's devialed. The
first quilt was a burial quilt, but someone else got it
out and used it. There is no print to use for these indians.
If you know how you use the patchwork to fit the person.
The tribe changes it's mind all the time on the patchwork.
They dislike it because it's the Florida Seminoles patchwork
So it's best to just go with what the person wants.

Sweetsie, Thank you so much for answering a question I have often thought, "I should look that word up."
Seminoles patchwork... I've heard of it a few times, but never gotten around to doing a search on it, so thanks, I'm now making a point and taking the time to take a look at what a Seminoles Patchwork actually is.

Joanne