Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Loops on the bottom when meandering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loops-bottom-when-meandering-t207664.html)

san-sing 12-04-2012 03:34 PM

Loops on the bottom when meandering

I have a Janome 6500 and a Brother 1500, both leave a loop in the curves when I meander. Does anyone else have this happen? I have adjusted the tension, changed needles, thread, nothing seems to help. I have also tried going fast and slow. I don't notice as much when both threads are the same color. When I do straight stitch with my walking foot it looks fine.

Sally J 12-04-2012 03:48 PM

Having loops occurring when on curves is usually you are moving the fabric faster than the speed you are using can handle. I would suggest making a few sample pieces and try and adjust the speed of moving the fabric to match the speed you are using on the machine. You will get it after you do this.

DogHouseMom 12-04-2012 03:56 PM

Agree with Sally ... either slow your hand speed down around curves, or increase the machine speed around curves. Either way - when on a curve you need to adjust hand/machine speed.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-04-2012 03:58 PM

I have the Brother 1500 and agree with the above posters. It's all about speed. I need to pay close attention and take fairly gentle curves. My FMQ is coming along, but it is a slow process to get it where I want it to be.

JulieR 12-04-2012 04:05 PM

I have to chant to myself, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW as I stitch for exactly this reason. I remember thinking I couldn't POSSIBLY move my hands any more slowly, but eventually I hit the sweet spot (for my machine). Once I figured it out I've been consistently much better.

gail-r 12-04-2012 06:17 PM

It is a tendancy to move your quilt faster on the curves. Just play until you are comfortable, A good indication is also that your stitches will be larger on the curves. I love feathers so this was the first big hurdle I had also but wyou will find that your stitches will even out and you will loose the lashes on the back. Good luck, sounds like you are well on your way to being a very good machine quilter. Hugs

barny 12-04-2012 06:38 PM

I agree. I have a long-arm with a regulator and when I go around curves, the regulator tells the motor to speed up because this old lady is going too fast.LOL So just slow down. I'll have to learn that too when I start turning off the reg.

spokanequilter 12-04-2012 07:16 PM

I totally agree. I have a Janome 7700 and I sometimes have the same problem with FMQ. It is a natural tendency to speed up around the curves, but make yourself slow down. It will make all the difference.

QuiltnNan 12-05-2012 02:58 AM

think about going around curves when driving the car... you have to slow down there, as well. best wishes for a speedy learning 'curve' [pun intended] LOL

DianneK 12-05-2012 08:53 AM

Have you ever tried Bobbin Genies? I use them on my long arm and have absolutely no problems with meandering.