Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Loops for Quilted Wall Hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loops-quilted-wall-hanging-t215815.html)

EllieGirl 03-08-2013 10:53 AM

Loops for Quilted Wall Hanging

I want to make a quilted wall hanging. At what point do I attach the loops and how do I do that?

Scissor Queen 03-08-2013 11:06 AM

I've only ever used loops on one wall hanging. I ended up not liking them. I use either corner triangles if it's smaller than 20 inches or a full width hanging sleeve if it's bigger. Both are sewn in when the binding is sewn on.

tesspug 03-08-2013 11:22 AM

I have sewn them into the binding as well as hand stitched them on after all is done. I prefer the hand sewn ones.

LivelyLady 03-08-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 5914313)
I have sewn them into the binding as well as hand stitched them on after all is done. I prefer the hand sewn ones.

I hand stitch them on after the quilt is done, too.

snipforfun 03-08-2013 01:50 PM

I sew small white curtain rings on most of mine if not too big of a wallhanging.

patchsamkim 03-08-2013 03:15 PM

The only time I used loops, I sewed them onto the back of the quilt (wall hanging). It was one of my first projects...over 30 years ago...I still have it hanging in my sewing room to represent where I "started"...but I decided then I probably wouldn't do tabs again. I would rather have sleeves on the back of the quilt to hang it.

Jan in VA 03-08-2013 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Instead of sewn on loops or rod pockets, I use clip on curtain rings that can be removed when I wash or store the quilt or wallhanging. They can be found at Target, Walmart, Lowes, etc. for less than $10 usually.

Jan in VA

Ranchwife 03-08-2013 10:44 PM

I use straight sewing pins to attach my wall hanging quilts to the wall. The pins are about 1 inch long and have small silver heads that aren't noticeable at all. They make very tiny holes in the walls that are easily painted over if they are removed. I place a pin in each corner, a few more across the top, sides and bottom. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the pins in and keep them from bending. This saves adding anything extra to the quilt and allows me to also remove it and use it as a table topper. Just an idea I learned from my mother.

schoolteacher 03-09-2013 04:09 AM

I am going to put safety pins in the back and then put the command clips (found at Walmart) and then I won't have the holes in the wall. The command clips come in various sizes and can be used and then taken down without damage to the wall. Just a thought.

SuzieQuilts 03-09-2013 06:00 AM

This is a great post with lots of ideas. That is one thing I have struggled with when I make a wall hanging, is the "hanging" part. I have tried the built in sleeve, the tabs sewn in and then hand sewn to lay flat, I have just left it, but I have never really been happy, I think I will look for the rings with the clips. I will be interested to see if what others have to say on this subject. Thanks for the ideas.