Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Loops on the underside of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loops-underside-fabric-t157492.html)

KarenR 10-02-2011 01:13 PM

Help- my one sewing machine is making very large loops on the underside of the fabric. It sometimes gets stuck and will not move a head. I'm talking like 1/2" loops. The top looks fine.

Do I need to oil it? Adjust tension? Bring it in to be serviced?

Help

Little RoO 10-02-2011 01:23 PM

Hi...what machine do you have....and have you checked the feed dogs are up, tension is correct, bobbin threaded properly and that you have no lint build up everywhere?

Rose L 10-02-2011 01:25 PM

It sounds like your top tension is waaay off. Tighten it up and see what happens.

bluteddi 10-02-2011 01:46 PM

when mine does that,
I usually find a big lint ball.... or
Even when things LOOK to be threaded correctly... I rethread bobbin and top..... seems to fix it

Freddie 10-02-2011 01:48 PM

There could be a lot of reasons why that happens.
First of all rethread your top thread. Take the bobbin out and put back in. Pull the thread out of your bobbin and start all over. Even if you know that you have done it correctly. Try another bobbin. If you have different ones, try another brand I once bought some cheapies and they work, but they are looser than the original ones and therefore I have more problems. Try diffent thread. Don't know if you have to oil your machine. That depends on the machine, so check your manual and see. Also make sure that the bobbin holder is sitting correctly. Take it out and clean underneath. I cannot remember ever needing to adjust my bobbin tension on my mechanical machine and it is getting pretty old. I do have to say that I don't put thick ribbon or thread in the bobbin, because then you might have no other choice. If I lived down the road from you I might have been able to help you out a little better.
Good luck to you and your machine

quilt1950 10-02-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
when mine does that,
I usually find a big lint ball.... or
Even when things LOOK to be threaded correctly... I rethread bobbin and top..... seems to fix it

Ditto on the possible lint.

Chele 10-02-2011 03:09 PM

Like everyone said, re-thread everything first. And clean out any lint. Get a new needle too. Can't hurt. I bet you'll have her up and running right in no time.

sewwhat85 10-02-2011 04:48 PM

when you have loops in the bottom the first thing i do is rethread the top thread it usually is because it pops out of the take up lever

Tartan 10-02-2011 07:13 PM

Either your top thread is out of the tension disc or the tension is too loose in the top thread. Put in a scrap sandwich and adjust the tension tighter a little at a time until you get a balanced stitch. A balanced stitch will have the top and bottom thread meeting in the sandwich. Also make sure to check that the top thread path is free of debris in case that is effecting the tension.