Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   loosing inspiration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loosing-inspiration-t124142.html)

Afton 05-18-2011 10:50 PM

I started a quilt that I was super excited about but realized I had no where near the time needed to finish it before its intended gift date, so I switched patterns from one of my design to a scrappy themed turning twenty that looked awesome in my head.

Now I'm lookling at it and it looks... kind of thrown together, I see the theme, but its not "matching"

I'm still a novice so this is a new thing for me, the other projects I've done are ones that I really liked the end result of.

What do you do when you loose inspiration? Do you finish a quilt that you aren't sure you like any more?

granny_59 05-18-2011 10:58 PM

I post a picture on this board and get so much positive and encouraging feedback that I start to like it! :lol:
Happend more than once and while you are stuck on the things you dislike, others see the good and nice parts about it and will change your point of view.
Go ahead and post a picture.
Granny

craftybear 05-18-2011 11:03 PM

Please post a picture of your quilt for us to see

Originally Posted by Afton
I started a quilt that I was super excited about but realized I had no where near the time needed to finish it before its intended gift date, so I switched patterns from one of my design to a scrappy themed turning twenty that looked awesome in my head.

Now I'm lookling at it and it looks... kind of thrown together, I see the theme, but its not "matching"

I'm still a novice so this is a new thing for me, the other projects I've done are ones that I really liked the end result of.

What do you do when you loose inspiration? Do you finish a quilt that you aren't sure you like any more?

earthwalker 05-18-2011 11:34 PM

We need pics:) We are the harshest judges of our own work, the people here are very helpful and sometimes things just need a gentle tweak to get the look you are after....may not need tweaking at all...maybe you just need some positive encouragement.

blahel 05-18-2011 11:37 PM

i thought scrappy was meant to look not matching :lol:

dunster 05-19-2011 12:03 AM

I agree with the other posts. Quite often a quilt that you don't like during construction can become one of your favorites after some time has passed. You may have had one image in your mind when you started, but the quilt can take on a life of its own and so your initial image doesn't match what you see. Give it time and you will probably love it!
(And yes, post pictures!)

patricej 05-19-2011 01:32 AM

when that happens to me i try to push on and finish it. what i've discovered is that even when i don't like a quilt i've made ... 9 times out of 10 ... somebody else will love it.

i've also found that a quilt will sometimes look awful while still in progress. once done, they somehow look better.

keep going. you will probably be very pleasantly surprised by the result. :-)

watterstide 05-19-2011 01:49 AM

turning 20 is supposed to be scrappy, it probably looks great!

Marion T 05-19-2011 02:19 AM

I agree with all of the above, and I bet its not as bad as you think. where is the picture?

justlooking 05-19-2011 02:40 AM

I've been in the same boat. I choose colors for a quilt and when I began to cut it out, the one shade of green I did not like. So I decided to sew some pieces together, at first I thought "I just don't know". The more I sewed the top together it got better. Finished it now and I love it!