Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LQS Prices Vary Greatly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lqs-prices-vary-greatly-t89481.html)

newbee 01-10-2011 08:57 PM

I was at an LQS on Saturday and found a 14-pack of Hoffman batik fat quarters for $38. I recognized this as a good buy--this was not a sale price, just the LQS' regular price. Of course, I had to buy the pack. At the next LQS I went to, the very same 14-pack was $55!! I coudn't believe the huge difference in the price ($17)! Has anyone else noticed such a huge difference in prices from LQS to LQS? The second LQS has always had higher prices on their fabric than other shops, but that is ridiculous.

craftybear 01-10-2011 09:05 PM

I didn't realize the price difference like that, that is awful, thanks for letting us know

amma 01-10-2011 09:22 PM

Yes... just in the two local shops here :D:D:D

quiltlady37 01-10-2011 09:36 PM

I noticed that the fat quarters have gone up to $2.75 from $2.50. I have so much fabric and so many projects that I shouldn't have to buy too much this winter. Maybe batting and backing and that should be it.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 01-10-2011 09:38 PM

Sometimes, the suppliers, quantity, rent, wages, loan payment or liquid cash or credit limits, required markup percentage, and if ad'd offered droping the profit margin, can make a big difference in the outcome of the asking price. Probibly way more than you wanted to know :)
Have always been told: profit, volume, controlled expences can be sucessful with 2 of the 3 but not just 1.
No matter good luck to them both.

LovinMySoldier 01-10-2011 09:55 PM

I just know that mine is pricey! Even the little bit that they have on sale is quite a bit. Unfortunately with prices like they have I can't afford to do much shopping there. And I'm sure the reasons the prices are so high is because of the lack of customers. Loose loose either way.

newbee 01-11-2011 07:26 AM

I am lucky to have 5 LQS within a reasonable driving distance. I guess I will just support those that don't try to price gouge. The one with the higher prices always seems to have customers, so it really doesn't need my support. Thanks for commenting on my original post and for letting me vent.

CarrieAnne 01-11-2011 07:43 AM

WOW, that IS a big diffrence. OUCH!

Terryl 01-11-2011 08:14 AM

I am visiting my mother in another state (MS) and saw a commercial for a sewing machine/fabric tore in town, asked her to take me there. I found Moda batiks for $7.99 with 25% off!!! Nothing like that in Florida. I bought 5 pieces for a total of 6 1/2 yards. I only brought a carry-on bag so I can't take much back with me but if I could, I sure would. I would have taken more choices oh well, I'm happy I got what I did.

luvspaper 01-11-2011 08:20 AM

I did the January Fab Shop Hop and honestly I surprised me about the range in prices at the different online stores.

I try to support my LQS but if prices keep going up, I am not sure that I can.

While I was at Hancock's they were upmarking all their Kona fabric $1 more. I understand prices go up, but I wish it would go up on NEW fabric, not fabric that they bought at an old price. I guess they need the margin to buy the new fabric.