Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   an LS-30 brother? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ls-30-brother-t111880.html)

Naturalmama 03-29-2011 09:25 PM

Is this a good one? I just saw one on craiglist for $50 and it's new in box.....

crafty_linda_b 03-29-2011 09:28 PM

There is one on eBay right now for $40 by it now price..shipping is $14.95 extra...so about the same..hope this helps you..Linda B.

Naturalmama 03-29-2011 09:30 PM

I'm wondering - is that because it's not the greatest machine?

crafty_linda_b 03-29-2011 09:42 PM

Tina you get what you pay for...BUT having said that..I bought a brother machine about 6 years ago at walmart for $129 and it lasted for 6 years..so I figure I got my money's worth out of it. It all depends how much sewing you do and what kind...if you can afford a better machine I say buy one a little more expensive..I liked the one I had because it had the extended table on it..My DD just got me a brother 6000csi and I used it for 3 months now the tension is goofing up on it..She only paid $120 for it and the repair guy wants $79 to check it over..so I am thinking of just buying another machine..Walmart has a project runway one and it's only $139. A friend at church said she bought one of those and it sews perfectly..she also has an embroidery machine she paid over $4000 for..so she knows machines. I was surprised when she told me she got the project one...good luck...Linda B.

Naturalmama 03-29-2011 09:45 PM

Hmmmmmmm - I'm getting the idea that this isn't the best deal. It's not that I NEED another one, but I'd love a larger throat - and to have one threaded for other projects so I didn't constantly have to re-thread my machine. Maybe I should just continue to keep my eye out. The price caught my eye.

rn2639 04-03-2011 05:54 PM

YES IT IS!!!!! I have been through alot of machines. I only sew on Brother. OKAY, my main machine is a Duetta, very costly and has every feature imaginable. It sews and embroiders, cuts your thread, threads the needle, everything.
I dont like to move it since its heavy. But I sometimes want to sew in the family room....so I wanted something smaller and lightweight.

I wanted something that would straight stitch mainly, for piecing.
I got this LS30 from a friend of mine, still new in box, foot pedal still in plastic. They pd 54.00 new and I gave her $50 since it had never been used. Nice metal bobbin case, top bobbin winder. SEWS LIKE A CADILLAC!

I admit it lacks with features because it doesnt have a needle up down button (you have to just turn the wheel) nor a automatic thread cutter. It also doesnt have a needle threader or a buttonhole feature. It does have a LEFT, Right and Center needle position, which is really a good thing.

BUT for $50 its a GREAT little machine. Will probably last forever. All the review I have read on it are 4-1/2 and 5 stars. The poor ratings were probably written by people who dont know what they are doing to begin with. :thumbup:

rn2639 04-03-2011 05:57 PM

I have friends who own two quilt shops, one sells Brother, the other Baby Lock. This is a great little machine for thee price. Google "Brother LS-30" and read the reviews. You will be suprised. And hey, the more you save on your machine, the more you can spend on fabric!!!!!!!

Naturalmama 04-04-2011 04:17 PM

Another question then - is the space to the right of the needle large enough to allow you to quilt a small quilt? A lap-sized quilt?

rn2639 04-07-2011 03:53 AM

probably. like i said its just a good little machine for basic sewing....chain pcing, potholders, etc. and a lap or baby quilt would probably do fine. i sewed on mine yeterday and it sews sooo good.