Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Applique Help Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-applique-help-please-t6964.html)

HarleyBiker 05-09-2008 05:01 AM

Hello All,

When doing applique by machine what do you set your stitch length to? I think i have my stitches to tight as block seems to pucker especially around curves. Anyone have any advice?

vicki reno 05-09-2008 05:16 AM

I am not sure, since it is the default stitch on the machine. BUt I will look tonight and let you now. Also maybe you could try to ease the tension setting a little. My machine is set on 4 but sometimes if I am doing the blanket stitch or a decorative stitch, I may move it to 1 or 2. See if that helps.

Butterflyspain 05-09-2008 05:32 AM

Well donīt know if this will help. I have a Brother Innovis 1200 and it is automatically set to the following 2.5 stitch width, 2.5 stitch length and 4.00 for the tension. I think you may have to play around a little but if it is puckering it could be your tension. Hope it helps. Elle

HarleyBiker 05-09-2008 05:51 AM

I'll try adjusting the tension and see if that helps...Thanks for the suggestions :wink:

mgshaw 05-09-2008 06:11 AM

I always use some kind of stabilizer under my block when machine appliqueing. I just use a thin (cheap) typing paper, but you could use tear away or any other kind of stabilzer

patricej 05-09-2008 07:04 AM

i iron freezer paper to the back of the background when i machine applique. prevents both shifting and puckering. comes right off when i use the satin stitch. still fairly easy to remove when i use other stitches.

Moonpi 05-09-2008 07:11 AM

I think your puckering comes from not using interfacing. My own preference is a sturdy tear-away. Another helpful trick is to baste close to the edge before doing a satin stitch that will cover it. Practice first. Once you get the settings that work best for you, make a little note of settings and stabilizers for next time.

HarleyBiker 05-09-2008 07:39 AM

I am using Wonder Under but maybe it isn't sturdy enough. This seems to be a great place to get good info. thanks!

Moonpi 05-09-2008 08:05 AM

wonder under is great for holding 2 layers together if you were using a blanket stitch edge. Satin stitching requires something on the bottom to keep from pulling in the fabric.

patchythepirate 05-13-2008 02:48 PM

Hi Everyone!
I have a question about invisible machine applique. It is my first attempt and it's going as well as can be expected. My question is about winding invisible thread on the bobbin. My bobbin conks out on me before the thread is fully used. When there is about 1/4 full bobbin, the machine just locks up and won't go until I put a fresh bobbin in. This is not such a big deal but it does seem a waste of good thread since I have to unwind the last 1/4 of every bobbin and toss it in the trash. Has anyone had to deal with this issue and if so, what do you think?

Thanks!

Juli