Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine applique & quilting all at the same time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-applique-quilting-all-same-time-t195933.html)

GagaSmith 07-27-2012 03:29 PM

Machine applique & quilting all at the same time

Has anyone ever done machine applique, tight blanket stitch or satin stitch, through all three layers. It would be a way to partially quilt and do the applique all at once. This would be only on table runners and toppers with thin batting like flannel. Trying to save myself some time on items I will sell.

Peckish 07-27-2012 03:34 PM

I did and I have to admit it was a disaster. I did a satin stitch all around an intricate applique knot, and when it was all done and bound, the edges were super wavy. That sucker does NOT lay flat. It's possible that it was a combination of the satin stitch and my inexperience (this was several years ago). I have not attempted satin stitch quilting since.

Marycumi 07-27-2012 03:55 PM

I have appliqued through all three layers without any problems. I did use a blanket stitch. A satin stitch could be too heavy,

Marycumi 07-27-2012 03:57 PM

I have appliqued through all three layers without any problems. I did use a blanket stitch. A satin stitch could be too heavy,

I read your post again. If your are not using a thick batting, but just flannel a satin stitch should work.

ckcowl 07-27-2012 04:05 PM

i have *quilted* this way many times- i do alot of applique- must admit though---i never satin stitch- i just don't like the heavy thick stitching- i either use a blanket stitch or a small zigzag.

mucky 07-27-2012 05:20 PM

I have done it with the blanket stitch and was fine.

Toni C 07-27-2012 05:50 PM

Yep blanket stitch or small zigzag.That worked fine. I once did satin stitch and the back was kind of puckered up. If I was going to buy it I wouldn't buy something puckered. (since I can pucker my own stuff hahahaha)

GagaSmith 07-27-2012 05:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.

Rose_P 07-27-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mucky (Post 5399550)
I have done it with the blanket stitch and was fine.

Me, too. I did a very quick little table topper for a friend as a hostess gift. It was a 10-minute block, and I used the blanket stitch around the "cathedral" curves, through Warm-n-Natural, so that was 4 layers of fabric plus the batting.

If you have any doubt about whether your machine can handle it, do a test swatch first. You may need to adjust the presser foot pressure. The machine I used is a 40-yer old Bernina that was the Lamborghini of sewing machines when it was new.

Oh wait - NO! I had to go back in to edit this. I didn't use the Bernina that time. It was the 45 yr. old Elna that was my mom's. Love those old machines! Also, on second thought, I think that would be 5 layers of fabric, counting the back. LOL.

Jingle 07-27-2012 07:32 PM

When I applique, not much, I do it by hand through only the top.