Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine emborider quilt layers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-emborider-quilt-layers-t196812.html)

Rose3 08-05-2012 04:27 PM

Machine emborider quilt layers

If someone can please help me?? I have an embroidery machine (Bernina 630)
and am trying to figure out how to embroided the layers together as part of the
finished quilting. I just want to use basic out line motifs in single color.
My problem is how to secure the quilt sandwich and line it up in the block to do
the embroidery. The hoop won't expand enough and/or when hooped it is not aligned
right. I am not interested in the quilt in the hoop method using foundation piecing etc..
I have seen CDs you can purchase at Nancy's notions web site.
Has anyone done this and if so please tell me what the trick is.
Thank you Rose3

Tartan 08-05-2012 04:37 PM

I don't have an embroidery machine but I think Sewing with Nancy had a sample of a sticky layer that you put into the hoops. It was for embroidering small pieces of fabric but I wonder if it would work for a quilt. If it is water solvable, it might work? Hopefully QB machine embroidery experts will give you some tips.

kathleenq 08-05-2012 05:38 PM

I am interested too. Will watch this thread.

Freddie 08-05-2012 05:41 PM

I have quilted quite a few quilts, wall hangings, etc. on my embroidery machine. You put all three layers together as usual. You don't need any stabilizer, as the layers are thick enough. I use warm and natural or warm and white. Open the hoop quite a lot. In the beginning it seems that you can't hoop the layers, but it works. Make sure that you have no drag when you embroider. I not only put the quilt on a table, but I also lift the quilt with one arm on each side of the hoop, so the machine can move freely. Of course there is a lot of rehooping, but I love using my machine. You don't have to be exactly in the middle when you hoop. You can adjust that with your machine, but yes, you have to be straight. It takes some practice, but is a lot of fun. Good luck!

Crqltr 08-05-2012 05:46 PM

I quilt with my embroidery machine. I do pin a lot around the blocks leaving the center pin in place until it is secure in the hoop so it won't slide. I mark the center of my block and make final adjustments with my needle mover. Try rounded designs that you don't have to worry so much about getting a design square in the hoop, then as long as it is centered it is good. Make sense?

Rose3 08-05-2012 06:30 PM

Thanks for the tips, I like the idea of using round patterns. Lot easier to center. I'll give it another try.

QuiltnNan 08-06-2012 04:59 AM

Thanks for bringing this up... and thanks to the responders. I'll have to use this more.

peacebypiece 08-06-2012 06:00 AM

to Rose3
Please go to your dealer where you got your machine for the PROPER information. Several digitizers offer designs specifically for what you want to do. Try either "sticky back" stabilizer, or hoop regular tearaway stabilizer and then spray lightly with basting spray. Then stick you quilt "on" the hooped stabilizer. I am not familiar with the Bernina but some machines also have a "fix" or outline feature to use to hold your fabric on the stabilizer.
Your dealer is the best source of advice for process you are not familiar with. The dealer knows features and capabilities of the machine.
One more point. Many dealers host embroidery parties or seminars with a particular digitizer (Anita Goodesign, Floriani, John Deere, etc.) They usually last a whole day for a fee. Yes, you pay for a sales pitch, but you also learn about all the latest products and ideas. At the event they usually have special deals on supplies like stabilizers, designs, thread, etc.
It's a win-win day. You learn from the "experts" and meet new friends and can learn from their experiences.
I have done a quilt with the Anita Goodesign designs on my Viking designer I. Good Luck & have fun.
Alice

Rose3 08-06-2012 05:20 PM

Thank you for the info, I will certainly go to my dealer and see what they say. Now that you mention it they
have had a embroidery seminars before, I just never thought to go to one. That's something else I'm going
to look into. I'm still going to keep fiddling with it tho. The wall hanging size quilt was made from old lefter-
overs for this purpose so if I mess it up a little not problem.

Rose3

romanojg 08-07-2012 05:34 AM

Piece bypiece is right; you should check with your dealer for classes; they are worth it to go to all that you can. It does sound like you want to "float" your fabric on your hoop instead of hooping the fabric. Hoop your stabilizizer; uyse either the stitcky, or there is one that you can wet and it makes it sticky or you can use something like 505 and spray the stabilizer and then your fabric goes on top of that. There are lines on your hoop for the center of your hoop so that is how you lign you fabric to get it centered and then you can usually move you needle to center it more. If you have a big quilt make sure it is well supported so that it doesnt pull on the fabric.