Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Maintenence Blues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-maintenence-blues-t212749.html)

Buckeye Rose 02-02-2013 06:43 AM

Machine Maintenence Blues

I finally bit the bullet and took my 6600 in to be serviced. She wasn't behaving when fmq (tension) and it was time for a checkup anyway. But now what do I do? I don't have a backup machine and am simply lost. I already have my next quilt cut and ready to go, I guess I will have to start cutting strips for the one after. I don't do applique as I really despise hand sewing. Maybe it's time to cleanup and re-organize the sewing room....LOL

Lori S 02-02-2013 07:11 AM

Yep a good cleaning and organizing is the way to go. I finally bit the bullet years ago and got a second machine ( used for $40.00) so when had to be without my main machine I still had some capability. Not that it my favorite machine.. once I get used to one machine I don't like to switch back and forth .. but just knowing I can still sew is very comforting.

bigsister63 02-02-2013 07:15 AM

Sorry that your machine is not well!!!!!! This delema is a good reason to have a back-up machine. You might consider getting one or maybe a friend has one you can use in a pinch! Probably with the cost of reapir you may want to delay the buying of a new machine but perhaps you could check Craigs list for a used machine. My machine was just in the shop for 2 weeks. I am really glad I had another machine! Remember--- A clean house is the sign of a mis-spent life!!!!!!!!!

PaperPrincess 02-02-2013 07:25 AM

when you pick up your machine, ask the dealer or repair person if they have any used machines available

francie yuhas 02-02-2013 08:59 AM

I always take 2machines to quilt classes,in case one gets sick. I get more upset if my sewing machine has problems,than if the car does!

Dolphyngyrl 02-02-2013 09:12 AM

I would get a smaller cheaper back up machine for this purpose. I have my cheap walmart brother for classes, travel, and back up when machine is in the shop. My dealer can take up to 3 weeks if they have a lot of machines in for servicing

BellaBoo 02-02-2013 09:18 AM

Now is a good time to look for an older machine like a Singer 301. Perfect second machine. I take two machines when I'm going to a class or workshop. More then likely someone will have machine problems and can use it. Many forget their power cords! I did that once and it made me feel so bad. If a nice quilter hadn't let me use her back up machine I would have been there all day with no machine to use. I now take an extra machine so I can be the nice quilter. LOL.

mighty 02-02-2013 10:03 AM

Terrific time to clean and organize. Hope your machine is not in the hospital long. Really is great to have a back up machine, saves from having so much downtime.

sewbizgirl 02-02-2013 10:40 AM

Buy another machine! There are tons of homeless old gems out there, waiting for a little TLC...

knlsmith 02-02-2013 10:57 AM

Ask them to give you a loaner. A lot of times they will loan a new model to get you to like it and want to buy it. It's like a car, most places will give you a loaner for free.