Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine needle threader is not working (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-needle-threader-not-working-t207073.html)

Zyngawf 11-27-2012 11:36 AM

Machine needle threader is not working

I have a brother machine that works fine, but all of a sudden the needle threader doesn't line up. I can see the problem, but I'm hesitant to take it in to have it fixed thinking the repair will be costly. More than anything the threader is just a convenience because my eyes aren't what they once were. I'm hoping someone out there has had this problem and may have fixed it themselves. I'd try if I knew where to start.

EasyPeezy 11-27-2012 12:00 PM

I think machine needle threaders are a big waste. I quit using mine long time ago.
If I have problems threading the needle (when my eyes are too tired) I use a
cheap needle threader - the kind you get at the dollar store (2-3 in a package).
Good lighting and a magnifying glass should be helpful too.

kookey426 11-27-2012 12:01 PM

I have a Brother also...it works great ,but I noticed one day it wasn't threading as easy as usual! My eyes not being young anymore,I found a magnifying glass,and lo and behold,there was a tiny little "tooth" on my threader that was bent! I used a small pair of tweezers..bent it back to where it needed to be..works like dream again!

bakermom 11-27-2012 12:06 PM

I have the same problem at times. I've found if i do a needle down-needle up it positions it.
Some say they bend the little wire a bit to get it in position but i have never tried that=hands aren't too steady

Zyngawf 11-27-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kookey426 (Post 5683619)
I have a Brother also...it works great ,but I noticed one day it wasn't threading as easy as usual! My eyes not being young anymore,I found a magnifying glass,and lo and behold,there was a tiny little "tooth" on my threader that was bent! I used a small pair of tweezers..bent it back to where it needed to be..works like dream again!

I'm gonna try that but won't be surprised if I still can't see with a magnifying glass. lol

Zyngawf 11-27-2012 12:09 PM

This is a common problem with threaders I guess. I think I'll just wait till I have to have something else fixed and then have it looked at.

jcrow 11-27-2012 12:15 PM

My Bernina's self threader doesn't always work. It does about 90% of the time, but then sometimes it won't work ever. I take it in and my dealer fixes it. I am going to see him tomorrow and I will tell him that it's not always working and I will watch what he does and report back to you. Maybe it will help you.

Zyngawf 11-27-2012 12:18 PM

Kookey,

I fixed it. There's a little flimsey part in there. No wonder these don't work sometimes. :p I just love all you quilting gals!!

MarLeClair 11-27-2012 12:20 PM

My Brother's dealer said to go to needle down, then needle up position and it should thread properly.

mermaid 11-27-2012 12:25 PM

If the needle up/down is not positioning the needle, you might have a little bend in the wire..be sure your needle is 'straight on' as well. But if it is the threader mechanisim, it is very easily repaired and you can do it yourself. I've now replaced mine twice and the little part cost only about $6 from the dealer. Your dealer will probably be glad to instruct you...eezy peezy. Do not fret. It's such a small thing....yet sooooooo necessary for us who are getting ''sight impaired''---or those of us whose arms are just too short..haha