Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilt needle or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilt-needle-not-t45943.html)

Joeysnana 05-15-2010 09:10 AM

I am going to try machine quilting . I went to Joann's and bought a ton of needles, every size, shape, and color! I've read here on the board that many of you use a 14 needle for quilting. Must it be a 14 that is labeled "machine quilting" on the package, or just a regular 14? TIA

littlehud 05-15-2010 09:42 AM

I use a regular one. I can't see and difference.

Prism99 05-15-2010 09:43 AM

For a domestic machine, a regular needle has worked fine for me (just not a ball point). I use a 12, not a 14; the holes of the 14 are too big for me. Some machines might be touchy about needle size; mine is not. I think the needle size is more related to the thread you run through it. I use the same size needle (12) for both piecing and machine quilting.

I could be wrong, but I think the domestic "quilting" needles are actually designed for piecing. They have a sharp point and some other minor modifications.

It is the quilting frame setups that often recommend using a size 14 needle, I think. Because those machines do so many more stitches per minute than a domestic machine, the heavier needle holds up better to the higher speeds and also helps keep the thread from shredding.

Joeysnana 05-15-2010 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone!

gaigai 05-15-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud

That used to be my opinion, but I just had a class that changed my mind. The instructor had us use a 70/10 Sharp. And BOY was there ever a difference in how it sewed. Ever since, I've use the finer needle in a Sharp.

craftybear 05-15-2010 11:16 AM

awesome gaigai

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by littlehud

That used to be my opinion, but I just had a class that changed my mind. The instructor had us use a 70/10 Sharp. And BOY was there ever a difference in how it sewed. Ever since, I've use the finer needle in a Sharp.

kwiltkrazy 05-15-2010 11:26 AM

I use a 14 unless I'm doing metalics, or rayon then I use a larger needle.

gaigai 05-15-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
I use a 14 unless I'm doing metalics, or rayon then I use a larger needle.

WOW!! A 14 is HUGE!!

dgmoby 05-16-2010 12:06 AM

When I first started machine quilting with a regular sewing machine, I used a larger needle. This kept me from breaking so many. I began with an 18 Jeans, which was much stronger. As I got better, I went down. I learned this from Harriet Hargrave (sp?) and it sure helped with my frustration :) I broke many needles!

I know 18 sounds huge...but many longarms use a 20. :) 18 is the most common size used. In my longarm, I use a 16 the majority of the time, which accomodates most threads I use. But if I want King Tut or another thicker thread, it requires at least an 18, or a 20. The larger the needle, the less needle flex - on any machine. It's the flexing that causes breaks, skipped stitches, etc.

Pam 05-16-2010 05:31 AM

I use a 65/9 for just about everything. I piece with it, quilt with it, make totebags with several layers of upholstery and vinyl fabrics, and to make the most delicate of silk clothing.

I only chandge to a different size needle if the thread will not go through the tiny hole.