Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-do-you-attach-binding-back-front-first-t219561.html)

SusanSusan33 04-20-2013 03:04 AM

Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

I just watched a you tube tutorial and she attached the binding first to the back side. I was always attaching to the front first and then flipping it over. Many times I had a few spots (or more!!) that didn't catch when I went to finish it up. I can't hand bind as I have bad carpal tunnel and my fingers are too numb....

In the tutorial I watched she attached to the back first, then when it was flipped sewed the binding onto the front. As long as you are careful with keeping straight it should work. No worries about what's happening on the backside as you sew because the opened side I'd visible to you the whole time...

What say the QB experts?

QuiltnNan 04-20-2013 03:23 AM

for hand finishing, i sew to the front first. when machine finishing, i sew to the back first.

MamaBear61 04-20-2013 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6014114)
for hand finishing, i sew to the front first. when machine finishing, i sew to the back first.

This is what I do too

chairjogger 04-20-2013 03:34 AM

Same, attach front by machine, pin if you have to. Good luck..so sorry about carple tunnel.

wilson4514 04-20-2013 03:39 AM

I too, have struggled with which way to go.................I now attach to the front and stitch in the ditch to the back . I go slowly and I can adjust as I go I find the front looks better that way

SusanSusan33 04-20-2013 03:42 AM

Thanks ladies! I didn't expect such speedy advise.

I also learned that I was sewing much faster than i Need to be. I love the you tube videos. When I quilted years ago the Internet was an infant. No you tube. No online quilting shops. No blogs. I'm gonna get in trouble.

TexasSunshine 04-20-2013 03:43 AM

I do all my binding by machine. I sew to the back first, then turn and sew on the front. I cut a 2 1/2 inch binding, press in half, then sew on. My hands can't do a lot of hand sewing any more. My bindings turn out pretty good (I am satisfied). It is not perfect but neither any I. Try some samples on scrap fabric with batting. Good luck.

PaperPrincess 04-20-2013 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by wilson4514 (Post 6014136)
I too, have struggled with which way to go.................I now attach to the front and stitch in the ditch to the back . I go slowly and I can adjust as I go I find the front looks better that way

This is what I do too.

DebraK 04-20-2013 04:34 AM

same for me.

toolazy 04-20-2013 04:35 AM

So far (just a handful of quilts) I've always sewn to the front first. But it makes sense to sew to the back first if you're not matching a pieced border to the front of the quilt.

One thing I have done a couple times is cut either the front or the back of the quilt bigger all the way around, and then wrapped it to the other side to serve as the border. Then you don't have to worry about staying exactly along another seamline or catching the other side when you sew.