Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilting on Grace frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-grace-frame-t3213.html)

newbie in CA 11-18-2007 10:39 AM

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to machine quilting. My father has decided to spring a Grace Frame (GMQ Pro) with Sure Stitch on my mom for Christmas. I'm trying to learn all I can about these products and am very eager for help. I don't know anyone that uses a frame for machine quilting or the Sure Stitch. The instructions for both show how to set both systems up, but after that you are on your own!

I'd appreciate any advice on books, videos, personal usage, tips, you name it
I'm very eager to learn!

I'm especially curious about how the fabric leaders attach to the quilt. Is it better to pin or baste? It seems like you would quilt right over that end of the leader while you are quilting the "sandwich" together. Does the muslin get torn off after it is stitched over?

Any help is greatly appreciated

zyxquilts 11-18-2007 10:50 AM

I took a long-arm quilting class, and we just used BIG straight pins to attach the quilt backing to the leaders. I don't think we really came close to the leaders when we quilted because the backing needed to be about 3" larger, on all sides, than the quilt top. You might check around to see if one of your local quilt shops has a class, or maybe one of the local long-arm quilters could teach you. :D

2 Doods 11-18-2007 02:04 PM

I bought a grace frame and you are correct about the instructions. They are very limited. I use straight pins and leave extra fabric like zyxquilts suggested. There are classes at shops that carry the frame. I have not had one yet but the lady I bought the frame from said it was very helpful. I need to find a place that has one. I have done 3 quilts so far on it just by making it up.

Yvonne 11-18-2007 02:15 PM

Did you get a video with the frame? If not give the Grace Co. a phone call and ask for it. I had a missing piece when I got my hand quilting frame and gave them a call. The gal who was helping me asked if I'd received the dvd. When I answered in the negative she added that to my list. I received the replacement part and dvd in a very short time.
The dvd was very helpful in learning how to put the leader clothes into the frame. It then gave very clear directions for loading the quilt parts. They recommended the flat headed flower pins to attach the quilt to the leader clothes for hand quilting.

The Grace Co. are very helpful. They have a good reputation and are working hard to keep it that way! Give them a call, I'm sure they will be happy to answer any questions you have (if you don't get them answered here!)

newbie in CA 11-18-2007 04:55 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

newbie in CA 11-18-2007 04:56 PM

thanks so much for your help!

newbie in CA 11-18-2007 04:57 PM

Great suggestion, I'll be sure to call them.

newbie in CA 11-18-2007 04:58 PM

I get it now. Thanks for your help!

Connie811 11-27-2007 02:54 PM

Hi Newbie :) I have a Little Gracie 11 if you're still having problems e-mail me [email protected]
Connie

Fabraholic 01-03-2008 11:25 AM

Hello - I just invested in a QuiltPro frame after seeing a demonstration at a quilt show; however, like you, I've got it up but haven't begun to try and use it yet. I'll try and remember to let you know how it goes when I'm able to get to the sewing room.

F.