Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Quilting - How do you Start & Stop your rows? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-how-do-you-start-stop-your-rows-t31759.html)

Quiltgranny 12-16-2009 08:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to know what method of Starting and Stopping your rows works best for you when you're machine quilting? Some folks do a Lock Stitch, others tack it with a forward/back/forward stitching while still others start out with a teeny tiny stitch and gradually increase their stitch width and vice versa for the end of a row. Recently, I've learned of those who "bury" their thread tails with needle and thread afterward.

I've done all of the above, and each one seems to have it's own "issues" - some cause thread bulk, others appear unsightly. Increasing and decreasing stitch length require me to remember to do so and burying takes a lot of time and is painful for my hands, although the results are awesome! Any recommendations or thoughts? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and just need to keep plugging along at it.

Confused in CO

amma 12-16-2009 08:46 PM

I like to sew 6-8 stitches in the seamline and then move onto the quilts surface. :D:D:D

kluedesigns 12-16-2009 10:26 PM

i do one of 2 things either the tiny stitches some place that they won't be noticed and if this is just not an option i bury the threads in the quilt sandwich.

Tiffany 12-16-2009 10:36 PM

It honestly depends on what I am doing as to which method I use. If I plan on the quilt being put into a show, I will knot and bury the threads. If it is for a table runner or something similar, I will either start and stop with very tiny stitches or run the stitching backwards for a couple stitches. If it's a baby quilt or lap quilt that will get a lot of washing and love, I will usually do a reverse stitch to lock the threads in place. I know, not very helpful! :lol:

Quiltgranny 12-16-2009 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I like to sew 6-8 stitches in the seamline and then move onto the quilts surface. :D:D:D

Now, that's an interesting way to start. :wink: I would never have thought of that. But, how do you secure your beginning and ending stitches? Inquiring minds would love to know. :lol: Thanks,

Quiltgranny 12-16-2009 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i do one of 2 things either the tiny stitches some place that they won't be noticed and if this is just not an option i bury the threads in the quilt sandwich.

Today, I had to bury them as I was quilting what I'd call a starburst design that started and stopped on the background - not at or by any seams. This did seam to be the best approach for this particular design. Thanks Klue.

littlehud 12-16-2009 10:47 PM

I do a few tiny stitches and then move on to FMQ.

Quiltgranny 12-16-2009 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
It honestly depends on what I am doing as to which method I use. If I plan on the quilt being put into a show, I will knot and bury the threads. If it is for a table runner or something similar, I will either start and stop with very tiny stitches or run the stitching backwards for a couple stitches. If it's a baby quilt or lap quilt that will get a lot of washing and love, I will usually do a reverse stitch to lock the threads in place. I know, not very helpful! :lol:

Yes Tiffany, you're very helpful because there are a variety of situations we find ourselves in. :thumbup: I really appreciate you explaining why you use what stitches for different projects. Thanks so much!

Quiltgranny 12-16-2009 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I do a few tiny stitches and then move on to FMQ.

Thanks. I haven't learned to FMQ yet, but am practicing. :wink:

craftybear 04-24-2010 07:23 PM

lots of cool information on this thread, thanks