Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilting pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-pricing-t59354.html)

deeryan 08-14-2010 07:31 AM

What is a fair price to have a queen size quilt machine quilted?? I had requested freehand quilting because it was a sampler quilt. The cost was nearly $500.00 I paid it, but in retrospect, I feel it was overpriced. I have 3 or 4 similar quilts that need quilting and don't feel I can afford those rates. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Sadiemae 08-14-2010 07:49 AM

I would need to see a picture to really know how it was quilted, feathers, SID, crosshatching etc...

nurse bonnie 08-14-2010 07:49 AM

OUCH!! I only paid $80 for a queen sized quilt to be meandered at my LQS. She only charges $100 for a king size with meandering. I have never heard of $500 for a top. I hope you check around somemore or check the ads in the quilting magazines. They are pretty reasonable, too. I hope you have better luck next time.

Sadiemae 08-14-2010 07:53 AM

Did the quilter give this quote before she began, or was it a surprise at the end of the quilting? Also, did she do the binding because that can be quite expensive? It sounds like a huge amount, but I would not want to judge without more information.

feline fanatic 08-14-2010 08:03 AM

For .05 per sq/inch, which sounds about what you paid, that is the rate for a heavily, well quilted custom job with lots of feathering, fill work like pebbling, mctavishing type stuff and nice echo quilting. .05 per s/i should be a show quality quilt IMHO. I have only had one quilt done and I used Green Fairy from this board. She did a phenominal custom job at .035 per s/i.

Also did you supply the batting and backing or did the quilter?

cjtinkle 08-14-2010 09:36 AM

You can't compare edge to edge/pano work with custom quilting, and custom quilting can vary greatly in cost! $500 isn't at all unreasonable for a large quilt that has a lot of detail. Ruler work, stitch in the ditch, trapunto, custom designs, micro quilting, these are EXTREMELY labor intensive.

Can you show us a picture of the quilting?

JCquilts 08-14-2010 04:38 PM

I do pantos for one and a half cents per square inch.
Custom for 2 cents if it is just in the ditch and meandering type of stuff.

I wont do the labor intensive ones with lots of feathers, etc. for money because it takes too long and hard on my back..and most cant afford it..

I charge for batting but not thread.

I would sure love to see your $500 quilting job.. any chance you could post pictures?

Jingle 08-14-2010 04:48 PM

I don't know if it was a good deal or not, does sound quite high. I machine my own quilts, I give most of my quilts away. I wouldn't pay to get any done. Just me.

Eddie 08-14-2010 04:56 PM

Wow, that does sound extremely high if it was simply meandering. Sounds like about 5 times what I charge. For $500, I would expect some really nice custom work on it.

brushandthimble 08-14-2010 05:32 PM

I think location could also play a part in the pricing.

Wish I got that kind of $ when I quilt one. :mrgreen: