Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting problems for new quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-problems-new-quilter-t48833.html)

ronee 06-08-2010 08:12 AM

I am wondering if there are any "secrets" to keeping the bottom fabric of the "sandwich" to stay flat when I am quilting?

ronee

Prism99 06-08-2010 08:20 AM

If you have already created the quilt sandwich, try spray starching the backing several times (let dry in-between). Don't iron. Starch stabilizes fabric so it is less likely to stretch and pucker.

I heavily starch my backing fabric before creating the quilt sandwich (1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water). Once the quilt sandwich is made, though, spray starch should help.

ronee 06-08-2010 08:30 AM

Thank you so much. I can see that I have yet a lot to learn.

hazeljane 06-08-2010 11:58 AM

Also, and please don't be offended if you are NOT that much of a newbie, but it was years before I knew what the *&^(*&%^ walking foot was for. It could have saved me so much aggravation if someone has told me!

So, if you are using your home machine, and not FMQing- are you using your walking foot? Makes all the difference.

(And again, if this is too basic, please forgive me.)

craftybear 06-08-2010 12:35 PM

We all learn from each other, no dumb ??? thanks

schwanton 06-09-2010 12:44 PM

I just finished a small project and it was suggested that I use basting spray. I had never used it. First you spray the batting and smooth on the quilt top. Then spray the back of the batting and smooth on the bottom layer. I did not like the stickiness of the batting so I trimmed off the excess, but I must admit, my fabric stayed so flat and smooth for fmq. It was a breeze.

Ms Grace 06-09-2010 12:52 PM

basting spray and starch your backing fabric :thumbup:

MadQuilter 06-09-2010 01:10 PM

I pull my backing fabric really taut and tape it to the table before laying down the batting - smoothing it out, and then patting down the top. I pin no less than hand-width apart and do fairly well (no puckers) when I do Stitch-in-the-ditch quilting. Now I can't say anything about freemotion. NO GOOD AT IT yet.

ann clare 06-09-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Also, and please don't be offended if you are NOT that much of a newbie, but it was years before I knew what the *&^(*&%^ walking foot was for. It could have saved me so much aggravation if someone has told me!

So, if you are using your home machine, and not FMQing- are you using your walking foot? Makes all the difference.

(And again, if this is too basic, please forgive me.)

Thanks for pointing this out. I have never used my walking foot. Will start tomorrow.

StitchinJoy 06-09-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ronee
I am wondering if there are any "secrets" to keeping the bottom fabric of the "sandwich" to stay flat when I am quilting?

ronee

What kind of machine are you using? Domestic sewing machine? Midarm? Longarm?