Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting throat space-what about height space?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-throat-space-what-about-height-space-t25596.html)

Skeat 09-17-2009 03:15 AM

Been drooling for a bit over many different variations of home quilting systems....and prices.......

I have noticed that even though most systems have a choice in what they call throat space...which is from front to back of the inside (throat) of the machine....what about the height of these machines??

Could you have a 500 foot throat and it still not be big enough because the lack of vertical space in that throat??Anyone else thinking this?? (okay...I know there isn't a 500ft throat machine...just using an example!LOL)Skeat

kathy 09-17-2009 08:16 AM

I don't know what the ratio is but I know as it gets longer it gets higher too.

amma 09-17-2009 10:39 AM

I would love a 10 ft throat :shock: ...quilting a whole quilt, no rolling, un rolling, but to find a room big enough to accomodate the frame....... :roll: :lol:

Mousie 09-17-2009 11:34 AM

hmmm, Skeat, think hubby thinks I have a 10 foot throat... :shock: !
ah, well,...

I'm not so sure, there isn't a machine with a 500 foot throat space...after all, the wife of the giant, in jack and the beanstalk, story...she must have used a preeetty big machine, to make his clothes! :wink:

Skeat 09-17-2009 02:15 PM

You all crack me up!:)LOL

Skeat 09-17-2009 02:16 PM

For those that quilt machine of any type and have a frame....is there a certain size of quilt, that you have to stop and turn your quilt around for there is not enough room for what you have rolled?Because of the lack of height on the machine?You have the distance of the throat from front to back...just not enough up and down...Make sense?

Shelley 09-17-2009 04:04 PM

The type of batting you choose is also a factor into how much length you can quilt. The puffier the batting, the less room to quilt.

Mousie 09-17-2009 04:39 PM

yes, you are making perfect sense, and wish I knew the answer. Like Amma said, you roll the parts of the quilt up, to the area your working on, and you need a higher space to accommodate a big 'roll'.
Think I have paid more attention to the amount of space under the presser foot, but this is important too.
ok, somebody has info on this...come out, come out, wherever you are...well, if you need a bath first...we'll wait :mrgreen:

Prism99 09-18-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
For those that quilt machine of any type and have a frame....is there a certain size of quilt, that you have to stop and turn your quilt around for there is not enough room for what you have rolled?Because of the lack of height on the machine?You have the distance of the throat from front to back...just not enough up and down...Make sense?

Check on the homequiltingsystems group at Yahoo. However, what is most often mentioned there concerning limitations on quilting design is the harp size (width of the throat). I haven't seen anyone mention throat height as a limiting factor. I think the bigger-harp machines (say 15" or 18") are built with a coordinating higher height. Since the take-up for frame quilting is a roll, as long as the throat height equals the throat width (harp), there will be no limitation. I would imagine the smaller harp machines (say, 9") have an equal throat height. Just guessing, though....

Skeat 09-18-2009 11:05 AM

Thanks Prism I will check all that out....very intersting! Skeat