Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting a top already basted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-top-already-basted-t97683.html)

dakotamaid 02-07-2011 04:38 PM

I have received from a friend 2 quilt tops that have been sandwiched and heavily basted. She has done a very good job of keeping the tension even on both the front and the backing. My question is, can I just load this on my LA on the takeup roller and bottom roller and quilt away?

Farm Quilter 02-07-2011 04:42 PM

I certainly would not. LA quilting pulls the fabric differently then when you hand quilt or tie a quilt. I would either give it back to your friend and have her remove the basting or just take it out yourself and quilt as usual. Besides, it would be really hard to remove the basting after you have quilted all over it.

dakotamaid 02-07-2011 04:49 PM

Duh, should have figured that one out. These were given to me to do what I want so guess I'll rip. Thanks

DogHouseMom 02-07-2011 05:10 PM

I brought a quilt to a LAQ that was already basted. I know for a fact that she didn't un-baste it cause she told me she picked out the threads when she was done. I laughed and laughed and told her ... it was water soluable thread :)

Farm Quilter 02-07-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I brought a quilt to a LAQ that was already basted. I know for a fact that she didn't un-baste it cause she told me she picked out the threads when she was done. I laughed and laughed and told her ... it was water soluable thread :)

Oh my...I would NOT be a happy camper!!! :evil: But I'm not that nice, I would have given it back to you and told you to tear out the basting or I would be happy to do it for you...at $20 an hour!!!

DogHouseMom 02-07-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter

Oh my...I would NOT be a happy camper!!! :evil: But I'm not that nice, I would have given it back to you and told you to tear out the basting or I would be happy to do it for you...at $20 an hour!!!

When she saw it was basted she said I shouldn't have done that, I offered to take it back but she said she thought she could work around it. It was the first and only quilt I brought to a LAQ so I had no idea it shouldn't be basted.

sewwhat85 02-07-2011 10:03 PM

i would have tried it i hate ripping

The Creative Seamstress 02-08-2011 12:02 AM

Poor thing, I bet she wasn't laughing! Great invention though if you know it was used, LOL.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

sherriequilts 02-08-2011 12:21 AM

oh ouch! don't think could have let her know that. Soluble seems like such a good idea too. but I wouldn't have known to not baste it either. live and learn.

Farm Quilter 02-08-2011 01:11 AM

When she saw it was basted she said I shouldn't have done that, I offered to take it back but she said she thought she could work around it. It was the first and only quilt I brought to a LAQ so I had no idea it shouldn't be basted.

LMAO! I remember the first quilt I gave to a LA quilter...the backing was barely larger then the top and she told me I needed it 4" larger all the way around...I ran out of the green fabric I was using, so I put a chunk of lavender...it was cotton, but dress-making fabric! :shock: God bless her, she managed not to get that part quilted into the quilt, so I could just cut it off when I got it back. Maybe I should send her a bottle of wine as an apology!!! No one told me WHY it needed to be larger! Now that I have a LA, I certainly understand why!