Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A machine quilting WWYD... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-wwyd-t45512.html)

Rebecca VLQ 05-11-2010 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I made my DD a black, white, and red log cabin. It's awesome. So pretty. I really like it. SHE really likes it. It's a double stuffed, oversized twin. Originally, I pinned and planned to quilt straight-line on my "regular" machine. And I found it was tough. Maddening. Made me want to cry. I'd been thinking about getting a machine and frame, and this sealed the deal. Bought the Juki TL98Q and Sturdy-Lite frame.

It's awesome. Quiet. Fast. Sews great. That's not the problem.

The blocks are 14", then sashing. Originally, I just quilted on the sashing. Then I switched horses, so to speak, and loaded the quilt and have quilted horizontally on each strip, so every 2 inches. Vertically, there's three "pairs" of quilting on the sashing.

I really, really hate how this looks. There is NO WAY to get straight, straight lines. At least for me. SOooooo.....WWYD? In a moment of frustration, I did a row of waves on the bottom border, and they look great!

WWYD? Would you pick out every single gal-durn quilting row and do something else entirely? Anyone have any suggestions for what would look good with the "modern" BWR look? I was quilting in red....perhaps that's why I'm so disappointed...because red REALLY shows, kwim?

MamaBear61 05-11-2010 04:35 AM

I understand your frustration. I also just got my machine and frame and had a baby quilt I thought I was going to do straight line stitching, but my lines were not straight enough so I ripped them out and did free motion. I like it much better. I only had one line of stiching to rip out, but it sounds like you have much more than that. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Pamela Artman 05-11-2010 04:49 AM

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful!! I can't see the quilting in the picture, but I do understand how you feel when you don't like what you've quilted. I also know how much work it would be to take out all the quilting. I've taken out a few rows of machine quilting in a quilt, and I can't imagine how much work it would take to undo a whole quilt of quilting!! I think I'd rather give away that quilt and make a new one than to unsew all that quilting!!! Good luck!

Rebecca VLQ 05-11-2010 05:05 AM

^^^That's just pinned, not quilted. Had I had the machine/frame before I started it wouldn't be all pinned together in a sandwich.

It's still loaded on the frame. Wonder if I can pick, pick, pick a few lines, then quilt, pick-pick-pick...somehow that would make it better.

DD really wanted straight lines, but the "professional" in me wants to override her decision...the "straight lines" are not straight at all!

dkabasketlady 05-11-2010 05:22 AM

Gorgeous quilt! I just hand quilt so can't help you out, but do keep us posted with the final project!

MNQuilter 05-11-2010 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
^^^
It's still loaded on the frame. Wonder if I can pick, pick, pick a few lines, then quilt, pick-pick-pick...somehow that would make it better.

DD really wanted straight lines, but the "professional" in me wants to override her decision...the "straight lines" are not straight at all!

This sounds like it would work to me, but I've never used a frame to quilt so not an expert by any means! I would say, quilt it how it's going to look best, even if you override DD's desire. I'm willing to bet that once it's done, she will love whatever you do. So often, it's hard to picture the final product when it is in pieces!

mytwopals 05-11-2010 06:15 AM

Buy yourself some spring clamps, which look like oversized clothespins. Clamp them on both sides of the frame tracks, next to the carriage for perfectly straight vertical stitching or on front and back of the machine tray for straight horizontal stitching. These can be used like the horizontal or vertical locks larger long-arm machines have, to keep your quilting lines perfectly straight.

Candace 05-11-2010 06:20 AM

I had to do something very similar. I had to rip out a TON of FMQ that had issues. I just did it while watching t.v. over a week or so...it wasn't too bad that way. Honestly, that's what I'd do as I wouldn't be happy with it otherwise.

sahm4605 05-11-2010 06:21 AM

Do what you think is best. she will love it no matter what you do. It is a beautiful quilt.

tuesy 05-11-2010 06:24 AM

It's a beautiful quilt..... as far as WWID... I'd have to rip it out because it'd bug me and I'd know it wasn't how I wanted it to look..