Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-recommendations-t191540.html)

Julie R 06-12-2012 06:40 AM

Machine recommendations

Good morning all. I'm relatively new to the board. I've been quilting for just a couple of years now and have done all of my quilting by hand. I'm interested in machine quilting and have been eyeing the HandiQuilter Sweet 16 (though I read a post that most people prefer machines where it is the machine that you maneuver, not the fabric), the Juki-Grace set-up that is currently being offered at a GREAT price and the Bailey's Home Quilter. Do any of you have any thoughts/opinions on any of those? Would love to hear pros and cons.

Thanks
Julie R

cmw0829 06-12-2012 06:50 AM

Hi Julie,

You need to buy what YOU prefer and what works best for you. Of course, hearing what others have to say is a good way to get lots of ideas on what might work well or not for you.

Best bet would be if you have a quilt show local where a number of vendors will be showing. That way, you could try out different setups and find what you like and which machine feels best to you. This is great when you've never used a longarm before. Lots of touching and feeling. :)

As for the setups you mention, some people love them, some people not so much. You might want to join a Yahoo Group. There's one titled homequiltingsystems (or something like that) and another for Bailey. I can't get you the exact names because Yahoo Groups is restricted on my PC at work. You can review the archives and see what people say. Of course, on the Baily group. everybody will love the Baily, while on the other, you'll see what people have to say about a number of different setups. As far as I know, the Juki is a 9" throat which you might find limiting. Or you might find it just right.

I did this a few months ago at a show. From reading and researching, I went in with one set of ideas and after experiencing the machines at the show, came out with another.

Good luck. Take your time and find what you like best.
Cathy

Annaquilts 06-12-2012 06:50 AM

I just tried the HQ Swaat 16 sit down and it has ample of opening for a King size quilt to be done. I am looking for a machine on a frame but since I was there I just tried it and I really like it. The throad opening is both wide and very tall. At home I have done my quilts on a Janome 6500 (slightly larger throad opening). I wished I had had the HQ Sweet 16. Definitely use machinger gloves to hold onto your quilt. I also agree the best is to try it out.

BellaBoo 06-12-2012 07:40 AM

I thought I wanted a LA until a LA I know let me help her one day. Loading and getting all the prep work done to start quilting wasn't for me at all. I like the sit down table machines much better. I let the longarmer baste my quilts and I quilt them. I didn't get one to save money on quilting. I wanted to quilt it myself.

cmw0829 06-12-2012 07:58 AM

Bella, can you tell me how the LA bastes your quilts? That's an interesting thought because to me - part of the appeal of a long arm system - is no more basting! It might be worth renting time just to get the basting done.

Thanks.

BellaBoo 06-12-2012 08:12 AM

She bastes on her LA, stitches about every 4 inches, and charges me $20 for up to a queen size quilt. I have all my quilt tops basted by her even if I decide to let her do them later on. It keeps the backing with the quilt and ready to just pull off the shelf when I'm in the mood to quilt. I learned how to use the John Flynn frame and I use that a lot for my smaller quilts.